On a whim brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
The last 20 gallons I've brewed have been for parties and not for myself. I have nothing on tap now. :-(

Decided when I woke up today that I was going to brew. I had a Wyeast smack pack of 1968 (allegedly the Fullers strain) so I smacked it and thought "What to brew?" Leafed through Wheeler's book and decided on Fullers Discovery. I did not have time to make a starter so I wanted something very low gravity. I want to use some of the resulting yeast cake to make London Porter.

I didn't have Liberty hops so I subbed in Target. I did happen to have some Saaz so that worked.

Started out well but I was trying to do too many things and was way short on my hot liquor. I added in a gallon and was still a bit shy. Plan at that point became "Boil for an hour and top up to 19L." The target gravity was 1.038. After all the cockups and water additions, I ended up at 1.040 so I'm very happy. Not bad at all for a completely spontaneous brewday!

Baz

Latest posts

Back