One billion Android devices at risk of hacking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My phone is up to date but being an old sceptic i have never used my phone for anything that could lead to me losing money to scams etc.

"Anyone using an Android phone released in 2012 or earlier should be especially concerned, it said"

"Google's own data suggests that 42.1% of Android users worldwide are on version 6.0 of its operating system or below"

More than a billion Android devices are at risk of being hacked because they are no longer protected by security updates, watchdog Which? has suggested.

The vulnerability could leave users around the world exposed to the danger of data theft, ransom demands and other malware attacks.

Anyone using an Android phone released in 2012 or earlier should be especially concerned, it said.

Which? says it was not reassured by Google's response.

And the tech giant has not responded to BBC requests for a comment.

Google's own data suggests that 42.1% of Android users worldwide are on version 6.0 of its operating system or below.

According to the Android security bulletin, there were no security patches issued for the Android system in 2019 for versions below 7.0.

Extrapolating this data, Which? concluded that two in five Android users worldwide were no longer receiving security updates.

How to check whether your phone is vulnerable and what to do
  • If your Android device is more than two years old, check whether it can be updated to a newer version of the operating system. If you are on an earlier version than Android 7.0 Nougat, try to update via Settings> System>Advanced System update
  • If you can't update, your phone could be at risk of being hacked, especially if you are running a version of Android 4 or lower. If this is the case be careful about downloading apps outside the Google Play store
  • Also be wary of suspicious SMS or MMS messages
  • Back up data in at least two places (a hard drive and a cloud service)
  • Install a mobile anti-virus via an app, but bear in mind that the choice is limited for older phones

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51751950

Last edited:
Presumably, most of those billions of devices still using an 8 year old operating system are 2nd hand ones on developing countries? How many people in the West have 8 year old smartphones given how fee apps would work on them?

So let me guess - you need to buy a new android phone and store all your data in a government server.
Call me nuts but maybe that's why they stopped the security updates to force the issue.

I use Avast on PC/Laptop and its highly rated for a free AV - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity&gl=GB

Protect against viruses & other types of malware with Avast Mobile Security, the world’s most trusted free antivirus app for Android.

Protect your privacy by receiving alerts when spyware or adware-infected apps are downloaded onto your device. Secure your device against phishing attacks from emails, phone calls, infected websites, or SMS messages. Turn on the VPN to keep your online browsing private and safe, as well as to access your favorite paid streaming services when traveling abroad.

With more than 100 million installs, Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus provides much more than just antivirus protection. Other features include:

✔ Antivirus Engine
✔ App Lock
✔ Anti-Theft
✔ Photo Vault
✔ VPN (virtual private network)
✔ Power Save
✔ Privacy Permissions
✔ Firewall (for rooted Android only)
✔ RAM Boost
✔ Junk Cleaner
✔ Web Shield
✔ Wi-Fi Security
✔ App Insights
✔ Virus Cleaner
✔ Wi-Fi Speed Test

What’s new
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Hide your online activities and change your location to access your favorite paid streaming services from anywhere.

Introducing App Insights - Ever wonder how much time you’re wasting while looking at your phone every day? We’ve developed a solution for you, right inside of your favorite security app.

Premium features for advanced protection:

Camera Trap: Secretly capture photos and audio of the thief if your phone gets stolen.
Last Known Location: Check your device's last location before its battery died.
Sim Security: Automatically register your device as lost after a SIM change.
App Lock: Keep your sensitive content secure and private by locking any app with a PIN code, pattern, or fingerprint password. Only you’ll be able to access them.
Remove Ads: Eliminate ads from your Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus experience.
Avast Di

Back