One for the Apple fans.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If privacy is a concern then you should ensure nobody around you or in your circle of friends uses software by Zuckerberg or Google, both of whom have absurdly efficient ways of gathering your personal information which is then used to deliver targeted content from the highest bidder. I work in a similar industry and can't believe people use WhatsApp / Chrome / Android ... don't even get me started. 😉

I think you missed my point as i posted in the OP -

I think all of us using Chrome and windows know by now we are being watched but Apple users have always thought their OS didn't do this well it seems they may be doing exactly that

A member of that site gave his view (below) on the quote in my OP and even he said - OCSP as a protocol does have some privacy concerns, but they would apply to all applications of OCSP, including our browsers.

It's an RFC 6960 OCSP certificate revocation check... and it's the developer certificate whose hash is checked, not an individual application cert.

And this only applies to apps that have a developer certificate. macOS doesn't require these certificates be present, but will warn for apps that don't have one. For unsigned apps, there's no certificate, and therefore no OCSP call.

Our machines are (or should be) sending OCSP requests very frequently, even non-Apple devices, since this is also how browsers check that HTTPS certs haven't been revoked.

OCSP as a protocol does have some privacy concerns, but they would apply to all applications of OCSP, including our browsers.

Latest posts

Back