One for the cyclists

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Andy Cox
@AndyCoxDCS
We aim to make the process of public reporting road crime accessible, simple and effective for all. 24/7, 365 active citizens will ensure the benefits to road danger reduction are very significant.

Jeremy Vine
@theJeremyVine
Just had a letter saying this driver was fined £660 with £166 costs and SIX points on his licence. Apart from feeling like I was in The Omen, this shows how effective our friends @metpoliceuk are in prosecuting driver crime. The form took 9 minutes to fill out. Here is the film.

The video doesnt seem to work here but if you click in the box below it should play.

Last edited:
Me thinks he goes looking for them as a ardent campaigner to prove a point

I don't think he so incensed the Audi driver to make him go through a red light though.

As a keen cyclist myself I'd think twice about cycling in London. What good is being in the right if you're killed by bad driving? I was cycling yesterday and nearly got sucked under a transporters wheels that passed about 18 inches doing over 50. I bet he didn't deliberately try to take me out he kept his position in lane as he carried on up the road. I have emailed the company named on the lorry about the careless/dangerous driving incident. I don't want knobheads to bully me into giving up cycling, It just gets a bit wearing. I went out at a quiet time and was left of the shoulder line. Taking a prime position on this road IMO is only going to wind others up and increase my risks. Two years ago I was cycling totally correctly when I was taken out from the left at a mini roundabout despite checking I didn't clock that he didn't see me he just didn't stop. That hurt, couldn't sit down for weeks.

I don't think he so incensed the Audi driver to make him go through a red light though.

As a keen cyclist myself I'd think twice about cycling in London. What good is being in the right if you're killed by bad driving? I was cycling yesterday and nearly got sucked under a transporters wheels that passed about 18 inches doing over 50. I bet he didn't deliberately try to take me out he kept his position in lane as he carried on up the road. I have emailed the company named on the lorry about the careless/dangerous driving incident. I don't want knobheads to bully me into giving up cycling, It just gets a bit wearing. I went out at a quiet time and was left of the shoulder line. Taking a prime position on this road IMO is only going to wind others up and increase my risks. Two years ago I was cycling totally correctly when I was taken out from the left at a mini roundabout despite checking I didn't clock that he didn't see me he just didn't stop. That hurt, couldn't sit down for weeks.
I think to say that the transporter wasn't trying to take you out allows for the people who drink over and then wipe someone out. He either knew what he was doing, should have been 2 metres away, or he didn't know and therefore shouldn't be driving.
Hope you got the roundabout driver for his actions.
I find in taking the correct primary position on the road one at least has somewhere to go to if a dangerous situation is caused by a bad driver. If you're already at the side of the road there's little to go to.

that is very much my tactic too, I stay well out from the side and this gives me the opportunity to move a little left as the overtake starts.

Very difficult to avoid conflict with drivers, sadly some people just hate cyclists and they make it known. Overall though most drivers >95% are very careful and considerate.

As a former motor cyclist i fully get were your coming from, i had many a run in with cagers over 42 years i was never knocked off or injured but had one or two close calls, and as a driver as well i give care and attention to cyclists, my attitude is on my bike or in the car is everybody on the road is trying to kill me, on my bike i used to ride what is known as 2 thirds thats out from the kerb this opens a whole new world of vision particularly on bends and leaves enough room to get out of trouble and power helps as well something cyclists don't have, also some of the things i see some cyclist doing i can well understand why drivers get annoyed some think the laws of the road don't apply to them but, on the whole most are pretty much ok, i have never rode cycled or driven with the i am in the right attitude that will injure or kill you

Me thinks he goes looking for them as a ardent campaigner to prove a point
Vine certainly does get into a lot of incidents like this
You don't have to look for incidents, or be an ardent campaigner to see these events.
Though now living in the country where I can ride for 15-20 miles and see perhaps 10 moving vehicles there'll be one who chances it (it meaning my safety). And I am quite happy to pull in, and do, to let cars go by in the narrow lanes, but still they find a way.

I have cycled and I have ridden a motorbike for many years
Todays news re the man I commented on
The BBC has warned staff against expressing support for low-traffic neighbourhoods, after ruling that Jeremy Vine breached impartiality rules by backing safe cycling measures near his London home.
In my world that makes him a ardent campaigner - point proved

I have cycled and I have ridden a motorbike for many years
Todays news re the man I commented on
The BBC has warned staff against expressing support for low-traffic neighbourhoods, after ruling that Jeremy Vine breached impartiality rules by backing safe cycling measures near his London home.
In my world that makes him a ardent campaigner - point proved
I suppose he is subversive in the eyes of a Daily Mail reader.

I do not think so - where do you get your info from it sounds if you believe the hype that anybody who has a different viewpoint is a Daily Mail reader

You do know it is reported in every paper not just the Daily Mail and he has breached impartiality rules so it does not matter which of the many papers you quote it is fact he has breached the impartiality code

Do you know I can not remember the last time I bought a newspaper it must be 20 years ago

Just a general comment on the perennial cycling topic ...
Being a driver and cyclist I'm still amazed that every (?) August (or year) we get get the usual anti-cycling press coverage, i.e. number plates, etc. I wouldn't mind some of the suggestions, however, this should be run for the benefit of cyclists, with large investment into proper cycling infrastructure (i.e. not just painting a bicycle on the tarmac and putting up a sign). Fat chance of course. As for behaviour on the roads, as a cyclist I pay close attention to cars and drivers, and am amazed by driving standards, or lack of. OK we drivers pay "road tax" but it's not a free pass. I won't bore you with my observations and stories of close shaves....

, also some of the things i see some cyclist doing i can well understand why drivers get annoyed some think the laws of the road don't apply to them
I see many many more motorists breaking the law, possibly something in the region of 1 in 25 drivers is actively playing with a phone, and in 20mph areas may be 95% are speeding. And clearly no respect for double white lines (from tonights ride, I was doing about 20)

xdwl.jpg

Indeed some cyclist do break the law, but I feel motorists need to seriously clean their act up before pointing fingers.

Back