One for the cyclists

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... OK we drivers pay "road tax" but it's not a free pass....
I hardly cycle any more, but once did a great deal of it so am a sympathetic cage (& bike) driver. I used to get rather defensive when folks tried to gain the upper hand by saying as a car driver they paid road tax that the bicyclists didn't pay. Yet, every cyclist I've known has also driven a cage.... and pays those same fuel/road/use taxes.

I think to say that the transporter wasn't trying to take you out allows for the people who drink over and then wipe someone out. He either knew what he was doing, should have been 2 metres away, or he didn't know and therefore shouldn't be driving.
Hope you got the roundabout driver for his actions.
I find in taking the correct primary position on the road one at least has somewhere to go to if a dangerous situation is caused by a bad driver. If you're already at the side of the road there's little to go to.
It was a cinch branded transporter. My experience locally tells me that taking primary position leads to more road rage and whilst I do not succumb to bullies I am pragmatic try to follow the teachings of the wise sage Ashley Neal ADI on his YT channel.

Re: the roundabout I was offered the choice of prosecution or as driver awareness course or just a warning. I felt that a driver awareness course would help protect the public from him making the same mistake. I did not want to appear in court as a primary witness during covid. I felt this was a sensible compromise. unfortunately Dyfed Powys police took so long to process that paper work that they could only legally offer him a slap on the risk warning. The guy that ran into me was a BUS driver for school children.

The law is an ass, I filed a claim against his insurers 'Direct Swine' due to their intransigence on the matter and cost the insurers a lot more than if they'd just replaced my bike with similar. (that's another discussion - where did the financial sheisters go to when the regulatory framework was tightened up? - Insurance)

? Not sure what you mean here, I thought you had to use the road with care and attention, after all we are all just road users.
At bare minimum yes, but ideally actively be on the look out for risks, and do your best to avoid them. But that then means you don't get as much spicy dashcam footage.

At bare minimum yes, but ideally actively be on the look out for risks, and do your best to avoid them. But that then means you don't get as much spicy dashcam footage.
No dashcams on cycles. However cyclists have cameras not to look for trouble but as a record of what is happening.
If cyclists doesn't ride with awareness then they generally don't ride for long.

Back