One Percent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading all this with interest ,yes ,some nurses have had a very tough time with covid etc,but as for the pay rise and being underpaid etc ,maybe somebody could tell me where in the private sector you can get better salaries ,job security ,nine months maternity pay ,generous sick entitlement and a gold plated pension ?And of course you can apply this to teachers ,police etc .

I have been reading all this with interest ,yes ,some nurses have had a very tough time with covid etc,but as for the pay rise and being underpaid etc ,maybe somebody could tell me where in the private sector you can get better salaries ,job security ,nine months maternity pay ,generous sick entitlement and a gold plated pension ?And of course you can apply this to teachers ,police etc .

What's a gold plated pension? Gotta get me one of those. This post sounds like something one could read in the Daily Mail circa 1995.

The days of generosity within the public sector are long gone.

Last edited:
How much do nurses get paid
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...ssing-woman-emerges/ar-BB1el14e?ocid=msedgdhp
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...et-going-full-monty/ss-BB1dJVLb?ocid=msedgdhp

How much do nurses get paid?
NHS pay is operated in a banding system that was introduced in 2004.

A newly-qualified nurse starts in band five and will earn £24,907 a year, or slightly more in London.

The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has estimated that an average NHS nurse’s pay is £33,384.

The salary ranges at each additional banding level are as follows:

• Band six: £31,365 – £37,890
  • Band seven: £38,890 – £44,503
  • Band eight: £45,753 – £87,754
  • Band nine: £91,004 – £104,927
The only way to get access to the higher bands is to gain further qualifications

Attachments

• 1615140108374.png
    1615140108374.png
    68 bytes · Views: 44
How much do nurses get paid
Sarah Everard: new CCTV footage of missing woman emerges
Salma Hayek, Kate Winslet and other stars who regret going ‘full Monty’

How much do nurses get paid?
NHS pay is operated in a banding system that was introduced in 2004.

A newly-qualified nurse starts in band five and will earn £24,907 a year, or slightly more in London.

The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has estimated that an average NHS nurse’s pay is £33,384.

The salary ranges at each additional banding level are as follows:

• Band six: £31,365 – £37,890
  • Band seven: £38,890 – £44,503
  • Band eight: £45,753 – £87,754
  • Band nine: £91,004 – £104,927
The only way to get access to the higher bands is to gain further qualifications

The vast majority are band 5. Salary starts at 24k and rises to 30k after many years and lots of additional training.

Nurses working at band 7 level perform a lot of the same tasks as a doctor.

Find me a band 8/9 nurse, and I'll find you some rocking horse *****.

The vast majority are band 5. Salary starts at 24k and rises to 30k after many years and lots of additional training.

Nurses working at band 7 level perform a lot of the same tasks as a doctor.

Find me a band 8/9 nurse, and I'll find you some rocking horse *****.
Don't get me wrong i agree they should at least get a cost of living rise minimum, before i did my homework i thought they were on less than that, i managed to raise 2 kids pay for a house feed and cloth us and have a decent life on 2 thirds of the average pay, well when i say me i mean me and the misses who was on similar wages as me

One percent is a complete insult. If me or mine were to die from lack of nursing, I'd still applaud them for not being held to ransom. They deserve much much better than this. They're already on peepee poor money and they deserve much more. Any nurse or proper health worker who comes by my place is welcome to as much beer as they can drink. That's all I can offer since I'm not the Chancellor.

The "shortage" of nurses has one and only one root cause. The NHS Trusts see their priorities thus:
  • Career paths for nurses into management roles they are not equipped to perform in
  • Longevity of existence long beyond any fruitful or meaningful life
  • Meeting the ever changing increasingly meaningless targets set by transient politicians
  • The actual health of the ever diminishing proportion of actually productive members of society
The Health Service's actual role thus comes an ever distancing goal, not helped by the BMA's insistence that no more than an insufficient number of British Doctors are ever trained, in order to protect their members' financial interests.

Too many nurses do no nursing. They get paid even more to add nothing.
Also the government putting pressure on the RCN to reduce number of UK nursing students a few years back didn’t help, preferring to out source the training abroad.

What's a gold plated pension? Gotta get me one of those. This post sounds like something one could read in the Daily Mail circa 1995.

The days of generosity within the public sector are long gone.
Then why don't you tell me where you can get these sort of benefits in the private sector ?

Also the government putting pressure on the RCN to reduce number of UK nursing students a few years back didn’t help, preferring to out source the training abroad.
Not aware of this one, can you elucidate, please? I will run it past my three women, who all work in the NHS, to inform my future prejudices.

I am aware of some friction between those who believe that "on the job" training for nurses is best, including my own mother (who is clearly right!) , and those modernists who feel that a sort of degree course prepares better.

My dear mum still recalls the good old days as a nurse in Glasgow in the 1950's, when both life and death were far more simple.

I'm a band 5 recovery/anaesthetic practitioner, don't get me wrong, 12% would be a **** take, but so is 1%... After all the government led love in over NHS staff over the last year i'd have thought it would be a better offer.

When I first started 15 years ago I thought I had a good wage, i worked hard for it and felt that I deserved it, now at top band 5 i've gone backwards definitely. I don't want sympathy and I obviously knew what I was doing when I went into it but it's difficult looking after people, you take stuff home with you and it gets harder over time. That said, like some have mentioned care staff have had it so hard, they were underpaid anyway and deserve more too. But it's deeper than that, where do we as a society place care workers in a level of importance, do we look after our old and ill as well as we should?

That said, like some have mentioned care staff have had it so hard, they were underpaid anyway and deserve more too. But it's deeper than that, where do we as a society place care workers in a level of importance, do we look after our old and ill as well as we should?

This is what needs sorting.

I wonder is it because nursing and caring tends to be a female dominated profession that pay and conditions tend to be so poor.

I work in the Aerospace industry. We all had a pay freeze last year, another pay freeze this year, plus a week furloughed, plus some of my mates who I've worked with for years have been made redundant and for them it's going to be a pretty tough couple of years.

I'm not complaining, quite the opposite, I am hugely grateful to still have sufficient income to pay the bills and keep food on the table.

I think all public sector workers should get more than 1% - NHS, police, teachers, firefighters, the list goes on.

Pay and benefits should be levelled up, it shouldn't be a case of it being a race to the bottom (note this is aspirational, it'll never actually happen).

The cronyism and dodgy dealings within government should definitely be front and centre because it will drive public policy with funding national services for many years to come.

Latest posts

Back