One Percent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they'd never do it as they wouldnt then be able to manipulate public opinion like they are now. Currently it's far to easy for them to say nurses want 12 put you fireman teachers etc accepting a pay freeze , its ridiculous.

Don't forget, those who work in care homes are not generally public sector workers as many care homes are privately owned. Not that that makes any difference.

Its also worth noting that pay in the private sector varies enormously according to the area of the country,Take the North East for example:- The wages in the private sector are so low they are barely more than benefits.

I used to pay more in tax in my London job than my North East skilled tradesman Father earned gross in his life.

Personally I would like to see all public employees get the same raise benefits regardless of their job. MPs have happily awarded themselves a 17% raise while preaching restraint for everyone else.

In the interest of balance (and I'm all for bashing the kind of MP who would vote themselves an above inflation pay rise), MPs do NOT vote for their pay rise.

IPSA Sets their rate of pay. Because the public thought MPs couldn't be trusted, IPSA took on this responsibility. Now, MPs can be outraged on their constituents behalf while still taking any pay rise and saying they have no contol over it.

The trouble is, as it's a fairly unique job/profession/vocation, it has to be pegged to something and that something is 'senior leaders' in industry. Given that many MPs would be in those positions if they weren't MPs and that they are the executive board of 'UK PLC', that's what they equate to.

The gap in pay between staff and boardroom is bigger now than ever.

That's NHS Scotland being offered a 4% uplift, backdated to December 2020. Those under £25k to get an increase of at least £1000.

It's nothing earth-shattering, but at least it's a real terms increase. Coupled with the COVID payment we received last month, it does go some way to some recognition of the work that has gone in, and will continue to go in.

Regarding pay rises...1% of say,150k is a bit more than 1% of say,25k...
In places I've worked the 150k persons would have benefits and bonus on top..most of which they pay tax free into their pension (coz they can) and have absolutely no hesitation in giving shop floor sod all...
But then we're not forced to go we have to,or you get out and try something else. Only the few really like what they do.

Latest posts

Back