Oneconcept / Hopfengott 30l Mash Kettle mash kettles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did look at those at some point. I just wonder how they compare to Bulldog that David Heath reviewed against GrainFather and BrauMeister. And this one looks like it has integrated pump !
Any chance you can let us know how good is the temp sensor? Apparently those types are notorious in keeping right temp.

Will do, I'll report back all about it.

From what I've read the newer versions have 0.1°C temp control, and the pump recirculating while mashing helps keep an even temperature.
I did look at those at some point. I just wonder how they compare to Bulldog that David Heath reviewed against GrainFather and BrauMeister. And this one looks like it has integrated pump !
Any chance you can let us know how good is the temp sensor? Apparently those types are notorious in keeping right temp.

Hey @Gulpitdarn , can you give me some idea of the workflow with your one concept device - I don't quite get it...

I get that you can mash in it and I get that you can also do the boil...

But how do you sparge/lauter? At some point you have to get the grain out and rinse it to get the residual sugars out...

I get how sparging works with a mash tun, although at the moment I just dunk sparge...

How does it work with this system?

And presumably you can just shove an immersion chiller in at the end after the boil???

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Matt, have a look at the 'Bulldog Brewer' brewday videos on YouTube, it's the same machine different name.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bulldog+brewday&page=&utm_source=opensearch

To lauter you lift the grain basket up out of the wort and it props up on top of the machine and drip drains into the kettle.

I think most people sparge by heating sparge water separately and jug it on top while lautering. You may be able to rig the pump to take spage water out from another kettle/HLT and over the grain basket.

I ended up buying a Brew Devil/Hopcat/Guten/Klarstein type machine in the end. Unfortunately the kettle has a small leak when it arrived so I'm waiting for a replacement.

There are three main 'budget' (i.e. not grainfather prices) base machines around:
  1. Klarstein Maischest style
  2. Bulldog Brewer style (aka Oneconcept Hopfengott)
  3. Guten style (aka Brew Devil and many others)
I nerdily made a list of these when I was shopping:
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 10.27.27.png

I finally got an eBay message back from them saying that all their prices are already at the lowest they're able to sell at.

...so I bought a better one (Klarstein, HopCat style) from Expondo.co.uk instead. Looking forward to my first full batch grain brewday!
Interested in why you say klarstein / hopcat is a better style?

Interested in why you say klarstein / hopcat is a better style?
I mean they're essentially very similar, but from what I can see, vs the Bulldog/OneConcept the Guten/Hopcat style offers:
  • Slightly bigger volume (up to 40l theoretical)
  • Built in pump rather than external
  • 9 step controller
  • 0.1 degree temp control

I finally got an eBay message back from them saying that all their prices are already at the lowest they're able to sell at.

...so I bought a better one (Klarstein, HopCat style) from Expondo.co.uk instead. Looking forward to my first full batch grain brewday!

How is the one you bought from Expondo, has it served you well?

How is the one you bought from Expondo, has it served you well?

Unfortunately it had a small leak! So they collected it and refunded me.

In all fairness to them it was sold at discount a factory second - but I think this was due to a couple of cosmetic marks on the machine. I think the leak was just bad luck and not a reflection of Expondo or the Royal Catering machine... As they're clearly all identical machines made in the same place just badged differently.

I ended up purchasing a Brewster Beacon version from the PipStop in the UK. They were good and did me a price match. Very happy with the machine, and it has a sight glass which is tremendously useful.

I've done 5 brews in them now. The first was a disaster brew day (but drinkable), and the next four have been fabulous.

You might also want to look at BrewDevil sold by Paul at Angel Homebrew.

Yes I've just got one and very good it is too, fully recommend one. Watch on ebay as they can be a bit cheaper with free posting. My 15 litre one was only £179.99, reduced from £199.99.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=202523629861

Hi @Gulpitdarn. I've just ordered one of these 15L HopfenGotts, I think it arrives tomorrow. I wondered if you have any dialled in stats for your system that I can use in the equipment profile for a Brewfather recipe? Boil off rate; mash tun dead space; loss to trub on transfer to FV. Any info you've got would help. Many thanks!

Sorry to revive an old thread, I am waiting on one of these Hopfengott 30L, should be with me in a couple of weeks.

Can anybody tell me what is the barb size at the drain tap? I would like to make sure I have all I need when I start my first brew!

Thank you!

Sorry to revive an old thread, I am waiting on one of these Hopfengott 30L, should be with me in a couple of weeks.

Can anybody tell me what is the barb size at the drain tap? I would like to make sure I have all I need when I start my first brew!

Thank you!

I don't think it has a barb.
Just a quick fit thing to attach the pump.
Would be pretty easy to replace it with a barb tho.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 22.39.35.png

How do you find this equipment if I may ask

I love it. Really good quality and easy to use. I have the 15L version.

I did ditch the filter that came with it, after watching a YouTube vid, and having trouble getting the boiled wort out after my first brew. It clogged up really quick and took me ages scraping at the filter with a paddle to get the wort out. So now I run it without any filter at all. Lots of break goes into the FV, but I don't mind that, it all settles out.

And the other peculiarity is the boil temperature. It seems to boil at ~97C, and would never reach the default set temp of 102C even at full wattage. I think I could recalibrate it, but I just sidestep it by setting target temp to 96C, and then once the it reaches that, and the timer starts, I just increase target temp to 98C and it carries on with a good rolling boil. Mash temp seemed spot on when I measured it.

I love it. Really good quality and easy to use. I have the 15L version.

I did ditch the filter that came with it, after watching a YouTube vid, and having trouble getting the boiled wort out after my first brew. It clogged up really quick and took me ages scraping at the filter with a paddle to get the wort out. So now I run it without any filter at all. Lots of break goes into the FV, but I don't mind that, it all settles out.

And the other peculiarity is the boil temperature. It seems to boil at ~97C, and would never reach the default set temp of 102C even at full wattage. I think I could recalibrate it, but I just sidestep it by setting target temp to 96C, and then once the it reaches that, and the timer starts, I just increase target temp to 98C and it carries on with a good rolling boil. Mash temp seemed spot on when I measured it.
Hi MagnusTs, thank you so much for this comprehensive reply, excellent tips and settings I will certainly keep in mind when using this the first time. Thanks!

Back