Oneflewover brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, not had one of these for a while. Clearly didn't leave enough headroom even then aheadbutt

DSC_0311.JPG

Hmmmmm.... The AIPA has gone from 1.061 to 1.004 in 5 days. That's 94% apparent attenuation. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't think it possible with MJ m42. Even checked my hydrometer. The grist was nearly all base malt, I did mash at 63 deg C, and I did pitch best part of 2 sachets of yeast, but I didn't expect or want it to be quite that dry / pokey.

I'm wondering if the mash temp in the middle of the grains was actually even lower than intended since the probe in the boiler is at the bottom? Must check with a thermometer, but would appreciate any thoughts.

Didn't take a gravity reading, but the stout looks just about done too.

The stout and AIPA are bottled and I've started drinking them. On to the next brew! Citra saison again tomorrow, 4th iteration of this. 23l batch.

1kg Wheat malt
2kg lager malt
1.4kg pale malt
160g flaked rye
170g flaked barley
Mashed at 65 Deg C

300g dextrose to boil

8g magnum @ 60
10g citra @ 10
10g citra @ 5
50g citra @ 0 (<80 Deg C)

12g cracked coriander seed @ 5

Wyeast 3711 French Saison pitched at 22 degc rising to 25 degc.

Using a starter for the first time, so fingers crossed on that score.

Pseudo lager today.

2.8kg lager malt
1kg Vienna malt
300g flaked barley
66°c mash for 75 mins

10g magnum @60
20g hallertau mittelfruh @ 15
20g hallertau mittelfruh @ 5

Bulldog steam lager yeast B23 at 15°c

Looking for OG 1.043, FG 1.008 for a 4.66% beer at 22 IBUs

@Bigcol49 I have conditioned the malt for the first time today. Was no hassle and I have to say that the husk stayed nicely intact whilst giving up the 'flour' well. Mash flowing beautifully so far!

I have conditioned the malt for the first time today. Was no hassle and I have to say that the husk stayed nicely intact whilst giving up the 'flour' well. Mash flowing beautifully so far!
How'd you go about doing this? I've read that you just spray the malt with some water and mix about leaving to hydrate slightly.

Hmmmmm.... The AIPA has gone from 1.061 to 1.004 in 5 days. That's 94% apparent attenuation. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't think it possible with MJ m42. Even checked my hydrometer. The grist was nearly all base malt, I did mash at 63 deg C, and I did pitch best part of 2 sachets of yeast, but I didn't expect or want it to be quite that dry / pokey.

I'm wondering if the mash temp in the middle of the grains was actually even lower than intended since the probe in the boiler is at the bottom? Must check with a thermometer, but would appreciate any thoughts.

Didn't take a gravity reading, but the stout looks just about done too.

I've just read this and I had a MJ m44 US West Coast yeast go from 1.047 to 1.002 in a Bulldog Four Finger Jack pale ale kit. As mine was a kit rather than ag, I'm not sure whether your mash temp affected it. Some of the MJ yeasts can be beasts!

I've just read this and I had a MJ m44 US West Coast yeast go from 1.047 to 1.002 in a Bulldog Four Finger Jack pale ale kit. As mine was a kit rather than ag, I'm not sure whether your mash temp affected it. Some of the MJ yeasts can be beasts!
They clearly can be! Enjoyed the beer anyway, despite it being a bit drier than intended

Mash on! American IPA type thing. 23l batch.

5.2kg pale (Propino)
250g cara rye
100g special B
67c mash

5g Magnum @ 60
10g Simcoe @ 30
20g cascade @ 5
20g Citra @ 5
20g Simcoe @ 0
20g Amarillo @ 0

MJ42 yeast @ 19c

Dry hop of 30g each of cascade and Citra, 20g each of Amarillo and Simcoe.

Aiming for 1.060 og, 1.012 fg for just over 6% ABV. Around 50 IBU, 11 SRM

Here's hoping it all goes to plan!

Neglected this thread lately. AIPA bottled and drinking well.

Brewed an English Pale Ale 12 days ago and bottled this morning. Pale malt, Munich, crystal, touch of special B. Bittered with Challenger, EKG and Challenger for flavour / aroma. Fermented with WY1318 London Ale 3. Tasting very promising and possibly the clearest beer at packaging I've brewed - this yeast flocculates very well!
IMG_20190303_112313519.jpg

Haven't brewed for a while and stocks are getting dangerously low.

Got a simple British golden ale planned for tomorrow. Yeast starter in the fridge, grains weighed. I'll sort the liquor out before bed then get the mash on first thing in the morning.

80% pale malt, 17% light Munich, 3% wheat, og 1.049 fg 1.012.
Bittered with Challenger with EKG and more Challenger later in the boil / flameout.
Fermented with Wyeast 1318 / London Ale 3.

Right, I'm getting my first beer fermented with kviek (Sigmund Voss) on at the weekend. I probably should go with a dead simple recipe to explore what the yeast does, but I ain't going to :laugh8:

23l / 20(ish) IBU / 5.6 % ABV

60 min mash at 65*c:
2.2 kg pale malt
1.6 kg lager malt
1kg wheat malt
0.3kg corn sugar
0.3kg flaked rye

60 min boil
10g magnum @ 60
20g motueka @ 5
30g motueka@ flameout
12g coriander seeds @ 5
30g Seville orange peel @ 5

Sigmund Voss yeast @ 35*c

I'd welcome any observations, but probably won't change my plans anyway asad.:laugh8:

Brew on!

I'd drop the coriander and orange peel otherwise you won't know what character the yeast is giving off, but they'll make a nice beer.

I'd drop the coriander and orange peel otherwise you won't know what character the yeast is giving off, but they'll make a nice beer.
I know, I know. I should probably drop the late hop additions for the same reason. I'll probably kick myself later but there we are. I've overbuilt the starter so will plan a simpler brew in due course if it stays hot athumb..

I know, I know. I should probably drop the late hop additions for the same reason. I'll probably kick myself later but there we are. I've overbuilt the starter so will plan a simpler brew in due course if it stays hot athumb..
The first thing I did with it was a pale ale with a bunch of Fuggles, got my numbers crossed and added twice as much as I'd normally add but that was still only 20g at 15 min in a 10L batch. Very earthy, but now I think that's what my Voss tastes like.

Right, I'm getting my first beer fermented with kviek (Sigmund Voss) on at the weekend. I probably should go with a dead simple recipe to explore what the yeast does, but I ain't going to :laugh8:

23l / 20(ish) IBU / 5.6 % ABV

60 min mash at 65*c:
2.2 kg pale malt
1.6 kg lager malt
1kg wheat malt
0.3kg corn sugar
0.3kg flaked rye

60 min boil
10g magnum @ 60
20g motueka @ 5
30g motueka@ flameout
12g coriander seeds @ 5
30g Seville orange peel @ 5

Sigmund Voss yeast @ 35*c

I'd welcome any observations, but probably won't change my plans anyway asad.:laugh8:

Brew on!
Well I brewed this yesterday per the recipe, og 1.052. The yeast was cultured up from a kviek beer sent to me by @Zephyr259 - 2 steps (300ml & 1l).

Kept half the starter back and pitched the other half last night. Felt like a serious underpitch, but held in mind the stupidly small quantities of this yeast people pitch. Starter gave hints of citrus, spice, earthiness. A little tart. Promising.

Fermentation well under way this morning, so got something right! My fermentation fridge is just about keeping the 35 Deg I set it to. I'm using my new Inkbird 308-itc wireless. I can now check the temperature from my sofa, well pleased with it. I can also see a graph of the temperature changes.

Well I brewed this yesterday per the recipe, og 1.052. The yeast was cultured up from a kviek beer sent to me by @Zephyr259 - 2 steps (300ml & 1l).

Kept half the starter back and pitched the other half last night. Felt like a serious underpitch, but held in mind the stupidly small quantities of this yeast people pitch. Starter gave hints of citrus, spice, earthiness. A little tart. Promising.

Fermentation well under way this morning, so got something right! My fermentation fridge is just about keeping the 35 Deg I set it to. I'm using my new Inkbird 308-itc wireless. I can now check the temperature from my sofa, well pleased with it. I can also see a graph of the temperature changes.
Oh, I didn't realise that it was my Voss you were using, even though you mentioned it in the kveik thread and a PM... Will be interesting to see how it works for you.

Back