Ook.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape

Reaction score
Hi, I've not been on a forum since the late 90s, so having a timewarp feeling.
new to brewing, did try wine once, years ago, but was too impatient. Talked about it with partners a couple times over the years but it got poo pooed for various reasons. now with someone with tons in common, including this, so we're looking to start brewing from foraged flowers and fruits.
We live in Bolton but have a car, and we already have a plan to make elderflower wine as a first attempt. I'll be having a go at blackberry wine when they're in good ripeness, near us, and we've thought about ones like dandelion or honeysuckle wine, and my lady is clearcutting a good patch of nettles today so they can grow back and be used for nettle beer.
glad to receive any advice on brewing or foraging, especially if you know any local spots.

cheers, with chips,
Ape.

Welcome back! I like to make foraged wine/beer too. We have this article on nettle beer which might be of use.

Apple trees are surprisingly common in the UK and I've found so many in public places. There's a common near me with dozens of apple trees growing, plus I speak to neighbours and ask for any of their unused apples and I end up collecting quite a lot! I use these to make cider.

With all country wines I often see this bad bit of advice: "leave it and it will naturally ferment". I wouldn't recommend that. The yeast needed for fermentation is saccharomyces cerevisiae which does exist on plants, fruits, the air etc, but not in greater quantities than bacteria and yeasts which will ruin the wine. I'd recommend sulphating any brews first as this hinders the growth of spoilage bacteria/yeast whilst allowing saccharomyces to grow. To be on the safe side you could add a wine yeast a day after sulphating.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Hi, all, thanks for the welcome and the info. We did talk about making a juice wine for the first go, but we're both a bit hippy-esque, at least on the inside, and we already do plenty of medicinal foraging, so thought we should make the more expensive medicine we usually have to go to Doctor Asda for.
Also, big fan of Terry Pratchett and essentially all things monkey related.

Back