Oops - added priming sugar to bottling bucket then decided to cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if I have made a horlicks of my Youngs New World Saison.

I added the dry hops several days ago when the SG was 1.006 after 10 days

Today the SG was still 1.006 (which is the bottle-me FG according to the instructions) so I :

- dissolved the suplied 135g priming sugar in my 110ml hydrometer sample in a sterile cup.
- racked from FV into bottling bucket via autosyphon, sticking tube into the cup in the bottling bucket.
- noticed that the brew in the bottling bucket was very cloudy and bitty
- cursed myself for not having used a bag for the dry hops
- finished the transfer and instead of bottling immediately thought it might be a good idea to cold crash
- popped lid on bucket and put it in summerhouse .

I'm now thinking - uh-oh, if you're cold crashing you don't add the priming sugar. And if you add the priming sugar, you don't then suddenly reduce the temperature from 27.5 degrees to whatever it is outside in the summerhouse tonight.

Assuming the 'sweetened cold crash' has the effect of helping the brew settle, will it still carbonate up OK when I bottle it in a few days and bring it up to indoor temperature?

Hello, I am wondering if I have made a horlicks of my Youngs New World Saison.

I added the dry hops several days ago when the SG was 1.006 after 10 days

Today the SG was still 1.006 (which is the bottle-me FG according to the instructions) so I :

- dissolved the suplied 135g priming sugar in my 110ml hydrometer sample in a sterile cup.
- racked from FV into bottling bucket via autosyphon, sticking tube into the cup in the bottling bucket.
- noticed that the brew in the bottling bucket was very cloudy and bitty
- cursed myself for not having used a bag for the dry hops
- finished the transfer and instead of bottling immediately thought it might be a good idea to cold crash
- popped lid on bucket and put it in summerhouse .

I'm now thinking - uh-oh, if you're cold crashing you don't add the priming sugar. And if you add the priming sugar, you don't then suddenly reduce the temperature from 27.5 degrees to whatever it is outside in the summerhouse tonight.

Assuming the 'sweetened cold crash' has the effect of helping the brew settle, will it still carbonate up OK when I bottle it in a few days and bring it up to indoor temperature?
It will be producing co2 you have added more sugar for the yeast to feed on. Problem is the co2 will be venting from the bucket and not dissolving into the beer. Even if it is cold, I doubt you are on the negative side of zero the yeast will still feed.

Back