orange wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went into farmfoods today, 2 for 1 on their juice, so i bought 6 litres of orange juice, right orange wine i will try, so, filled demijohn with juice, added pectolase, little sugar, yeast nutrient and wine yeast, 2 hours later its fermenting, 12 hours later its bubbling like crazy!
This is a knocked up wine for me, just wanted to see how it will turn out, anyone done the same?, if so, how did it taste?
Thanks guys

i remember talking about it somewhere on the forum with someone, dunno if anyone has tried it tho.

looked today, and twice i had to change the airlock, as the foam was getting into it!!
Any ideas what i should do, i think maybe i should transfer into a fermenting bucket?
Thanks for replying

i reckon i would, its a pain fiddling about with gunked up airlocks and i've had them spray lovely colours onto the walls before too, so i always start my brews in a bucket these days

thanks for the quick reply, just steralizing the bucket, weird thing is, im more into the wine side than the beer, think its what you can make out of wine!!
The fruit juices around nowadays are great, never mind al the fresh produce you can use!!
Wife is moaning because i am getting into this hobby more and more each week, and all the bottles hanging around!!
Where do you store your finished bottles?

i have a space made up ready for my bottles under the stairs in the house. built a rough and ready but robust area into the space. only problem is the better half is a bit heavy footed and i want somewhere free from vibrations. I'll try some gentle reminders from time to time. atm i don't need that space because most of my finished bottles went out over xmas. and also i keep my wine in demijohns for as long as possible, only bottling when i'm gonna drink it. Drop into charity chops like oxfam from time to time and you may find a cheap wine rack or two there. I'm sure your missus won't mind a full wine rack sitting pretty somewhere.

i too like wines for their variety, not to mention some of the odd ones that i want to try like birch sap. I also like the process for country wines, seasons, gathering etc etc. i was training some rogue blackberry brambles in the garden yesterday, hoping to make some bramble tip wine when the time comes about. and then hoping for more uber big juicy sweet berries later in the year.

yeah, wine is great, this year will see me return to how i used to make loads of wine 15 odd years ago, i really enjoy the hobby, more so now than the 360!, sorry brew, but i don't think i will be renewing my xbox live after february.
The garden has now got a pear, apple and cherry tree in, am setting a veg patch in soon, and will be making wine with some of those, also this year, i will be venturing into the local woods with my 5 yr old girl and she will help me get some elderberrys, blackberrys, crab apples, nettles, sloes, oak leaf( maybe), and rowanberries, and at the same time, she'll be learning about nature!, and brewing! lol

So, yes, i will be busy this year, never mind the beer brewing that i will be doing as well.

falafael said:
This is a knocked up wine for me, just wanted to see how it will turn out, anyone done the same?, if so, how did it taste?
Thanks guys

They make it in prison, should be interesting

forgot, but was bottled end of january, a lovely clear/orange colour, about 11%, but the taste, well, our lass says it tastes like cat pee!, me, well its drinkable, but i think it needs to mature a while yet!

cat pee! lol, i wouldn't give up on orange wine mate, it can be very nice. unfortunately the only brew i know of to get your confidence up is the long-winded way .... squeezing and zesting lots oranges. i can't see why it shouldn't have worked, after all there is plenty of record of success coming in from others brewing with bottles/cartons of juices.

My only thought about going the juice route isn't relevent (i don't think), but here goes anyway. Many juices don't taste zesty and the wine (imo) greatly benefits from this. Those that do taste zesty may also have got more pith in the juice than you want (resulting in bitterness in the wine). Finding the right juice will be half the struggle if, like me, you value the contribution of zest.

sometimes i think its down to the quality of the juice i used, after all, the juice that i made from it, is not the sort that i would normally buy, if i buy orange juice, then i go for tropicana, thats a real juice for me, that don simon ain't bad either, so, i think that the next time i make orange juice, then i will be using tropicana juice.

Quality has a lot to say in a lot of things in the end.....maybe later i will open a bottle of wine..and see..maybe! lol

Agree totally about quality. Tropicana is nice juice and would be my choice if going the carton route, tho i would still zest some citrus fruits and add that too as i don't taste it in Tropicana, just my personal preference tho.

Back