Order of drinking beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the different approaches here, food for thought.
Don't get the opportunity often, but for years it has been the elite group (beer drinking) car club crew's tradition on the Friday of our annual national sporting and social camping long weekend to go for 'lunch' in to Burton-upon-Trent to the Burton Bridge Brewery tap. From the Curborough track campsite outside Lichfield.
Usually around 8 of their beers on the bar, and often some others not even on the chalk board.
Have always done the 'ABV and price' escalator with whoever is on board for it - my mate's daughter who is an experienced trained Nurse is the most likely companion.
Golden Delicious is the regular starter, often finishing with Stairway to Heaven, or a Festival ale depending on the ABV, or even when it gets spotted.
The compulsory favourite middle beer is their Porter. A perennial star.
As all their beers have been, to be honest.
We would preorder one or two polypins to take back to the campsite to accompany the rest of the weekend.
Sadly the tap wasn't open 'til the evening this year, so alternative arrangements had to be made.
Ah, Summer days!

Ah, Summer days!
Summer days seem a long way off now, especially with the forecast. Burton Bridge Brewery, despite that I used to live in Derby and considered myself a real ale drinker when the Brewery was founded I have never visited.

I find going out with a crowd sometimes difficult especially when it's Carling,Fosters,John Smiths or Guinness pubs. I've skipped a drink in some places as I'd sooner drink nowt than ****...
I understand your angst, perhaps the answer is not to associate with those who drink in such establishments, if I enter a pub and there is not at least one cask ale on then I do a U-turn. Sometimes though there is no choice in which case I may be forced to drink Guinness but would never dream of touching any of the others you named.

Quite a few years ago now, I started watching a local non-league football club. Before long, I was going to all the home games and some away. The people I went with were a great bunch and really restored morale but all were lager drinkers. As it happens, non-league football clubs don't shift a lot of cask ale, the numbers don't add up so it was Carling in the clubhouse and Carling in the boozers we went to pre and post-match (except on a few memorable occasions).

The point of this ramble is that you can actually get to enjoy poor drinks through association: football was great, the company was great therefore the beer was...ok.

My soccer club has a local brewery as a sponsor. Have convinced many visitors to branch out of their comfort zone. Bonus is I score the used 500ml bottles... 🙂

I find going out with a crowd sometimes difficult especially when it's Carling,Fosters,John Smiths or Guinness pubs. I've skipped a drink in some places as I'd sooner drink nowt than ****...
Agreed Clint, it's on those occasions I have a glass of wine instead or orange juice. It also helps to cement my reputation as the quirky one.

I have never understood that, I have mates who pi55ed in wardrobes and on mirrors and cupboards and although I matched them drink foe drink I could always get myself to the loo or outside.

****** in a couple of wardrobes, but my finest drunk **** was (at boarding school) when I ****** all over my roommates bag which he'd packed for the Rosslyn Park 7's the nest morning.

Latest posts

Back