Ordered a Cooper's Australian Pale Ale can

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Landlord.
Reaction score
Interesting the good reviews kits seem to get, at least some of them. Sounds like things have gotten a lot better since the 1980's and 1990's when kits were pretty bad

I brew all grain and have for many years. I like the process. I like the ability to craft something to my exact desires.

Last time I brewed a can kit was 1997. Was a Montmelick Brown Ale kit. This was my first brew after being out of the hobby for a while. My notes say it wasn't bad but wasn't real good either.

I expect in twenty - three years kits have gotten better so I'm going to try this out. Going to make it to twelve liters with a half kilo of brewing sugar.

I'll keep you posted.

All the Best,
D. White

Interesting the good reviews kits seem to get, at least some of them. Sounds like things have gotten a lot better since the 1980's and 1990's when kits were pretty bad

I brew all grain and have for many years. I like the process. I like the ability to craft something to my exact desires.

Last time I brewed a can kit was 1997. Was a Montmelick Brown Ale kit. This was my first brew after being out of the hobby for a while. My notes say it wasn't bad but wasn't real good either.

I expect in twenty - three years kits have gotten better so I'm going to try this out. Going to make it to twelve liters with a half kilo of brewing sugar.

I'll keep you posted.

All the Best,
D. White
I used the Coopers AuPA kit as a base for quite a number of beers with grain steeps, minimashes, dry hops and hop teas. It also comes with a mix of half lager half ale yeast and I have brewed it cool if I remember correctly. So you can afford to be a bit creative with it, especially since it is a bit uninspiring on its own as a kit and kilo.
But if you brew it half volume you will double the intended bitterness to about 50IBU in your finished product, and that may spoil it. (kit can comes with 340 IBU in the can, and that converts to about 25IBU for 23 litres - see here Coopers Kit IBUs)

Fifty ibu is pretty bitter but not usually overwhelming at least to my taste buds.

Brewing it short should keep it malty enough to balance the bitterness.

I've got time before it gets here. I'll probably rethink my plan a few times before then.
Already thinking about a mini - mash with a little over a half kilo of pale malt instead
of the sugar.

All the Best,
D. White

Back