Ordering grain & supplies online?

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by Dave 666, Jul 5, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 5, 2018 #1

Dave 666

Dave 666

Dave 666

Well mainly relating to grain but as much a general thought as anything. But looking around for my next grain & hop buy (busy with work this week) I'm noting an issue of concern before I buy. And that's that there seems to be a weight limit or a size (box) limit that going beyond incurs extra or unknown extra charges.

Has anyone had issues ordering grain and supplies right on or very near the weight limit to then be contacted over extra charges due to weight, size or multiple box charges?.

2. Jul 5, 2018 #2

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered..... Supporting Member

My latest malt miller order was over 30 kg cost £7 next day delivery.

Hoddy and Dave 666 like this.
  3. Jul 5, 2018 #3

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored Moderator

I'm only aware of an issue with geterbrewed. If you go over 25kg then there is an extra charge. Everywhere else seems fine

Dave 666 likes this.
  4. Jul 5, 2018 #4

Mungri

Mungri

Mungri

Malt Miller will also split the 25k base grain sacks into 5k sealed bags. I think it was an extra £3.00. Worth it to me.

5. Jul 5, 2018 #5

the baron

the baron

the baron

HBC allow 31kg or 1 box if over 31 or more than 1 box extra charge
    this allows you to order a 25kg of grain and some extras without further charge as long as under 31kg

GerritT and Dave 666 like this.
  6. Jul 5, 2018 #6

Dave 666

Dave 666

Dave 666

Yeah, that's who I've just ordered from in the end. I was intending to bulk order a 25kg sack of base malt, but somewhat concerned about shelf life once opened as it would take me months to get through that all that and with the weather like this and no cool room etc. Maybe next time?.

Anyways I did buy:
    10kg Golden Promise
    10kg Hook Head Irish Pale Malt (dunno why, but something different than the Maris Otter that I last used)
    3kg Propino Pale Malt
    2kg Vienna

So still 25 kg of grain in the end lol, also:
    Admiral Leaf 100g
    Cascade Leaf 100g
    Challenger Leaf 100g
    East Kent Goldings Leaf 100g
    Mangrove Jacks Yeast - M20
    Mangrove Jacks Yeast - M42
    Mangrove Jacks Yeast - M44
    Whirlfloc tablets

Aught to get me through quite a few brews barring trying different yeast s.

Slid likes this.
  7. Jul 5, 2018 #7

the baron

the baron

the baron

wouldn't too much about the grain I have kept mine in the garage (25kg) for months and months and never noticed any probs or measurable drops in efficiency. Done this loads of times obviously fresh is better but for most of us homebrewers its not a problem and the only way to reduce costs by buying in bulk as local HB shops are asking twice the price for 4 to 5 kilos and whats to say thats its fresh as its on the shelf pre-bagged

8. Jul 5, 2018 #8

Dave 666

Dave 666

Dave 666

The grain bill came in at just under £31. Yes, I could have saved several quid if I'd have stuck to just a single bulk main grain instead of getting 2 x 10kg packs. But I want to try a few different ones to see how things go, the other smaller packs I'd have got anyway. I think next time I will stick to a single base grain with maybe smaller quantities of a few others.

9. Jul 5, 2018 #9

BrannBrew

BrannBrew

BrannBrew

Damo Brann

I never have had a problem with The Malt Miller so far, the postage has been the same for recipes gone via the generator (£6) and is next day which you can track. I've even just caculated the postage on their website for ordering a grainfather + other bits relating to a GF and its still coming up £6 next day. Also if you place a recipe generator order I've noticed there is a cut off, I ordered one around 11 before and its dealt with the next working day, however order around 9 or before (I usually order before 8) and its done that day. If you bulk order then that's not a concern

10. Jul 5, 2018 #10

Simonh82

Simonh82

Simonh82

Regular.

I recently ordered a lot of grain from HBC it was well over 31KG or two boxes so they said they would need to charge. As I was only £15 from double the cost of their free shipping, I asked if I could chuck in some extra hops to bring the total up and have them send it for free. They were happy to do his. Probably only relevant if you are keen to make large grain purchases but it worked for me.

11. Jul 5, 2018 #11

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Regular.

Tempted to order some Corny kegs from HBC. Any ideas if a three-pack would be outside of their free shipping?

@Dave 666 - Not used them for delivery but The Home Brew Shop just say free delivery for orders over £65. Doesn't appear to be a limit on size. They're a decent shop too.

12. Jul 5, 2018 #12

robbym123

robbym123

robbym123

What I do is buy my base malt in bulk from Brewers Select (13.33 for 25kg), collecting in person.

I then use the likes of HBC for hops, yeast chemicals and speciality malt. This keeps me well below the 31kg threshold.

The other good thing about HBC is that they use DPD to deliver ( as do malt miller).

13. Jul 5, 2018 #13

Dave 666

Dave 666

Dave 666

I might try somewhere different next time just to compare.

14. Jul 5, 2018 #14

Wilfy

Wilfy

Wilfy

Pretty sure I never paid postage when I bought my last two.

-Bezza- likes this.
  15. Jul 5, 2018 #15

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered..... Supporting Member

Not sure which shop but they have an eBay shop and I'm sure it says buy any 5 items and get the fifth free...might be balihoo.,.

16. Jul 5, 2018 #16

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Regular.

Great, although I'm not sure I'll limit myself to just two!!

17. Jul 5, 2018 #17

Wilfy

Wilfy

Wilfy

I already had 3!!

18. Jul 5, 2018 #18

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Regular. Supporting Member

I been stung by geterbrew and their extra charge. It was when they weight limit was 30kg
    It still is 30kg but advertise it as 25kg after my complaint. I added my weight up to about 29kg but because of packaging they said it was nearer 33kg so I had to pay extra.

19. Jul 6, 2018 #19

Dave 666

Dave 666

Dave 666

This is where unknown factors come into play that the customer clearly can't account for. As without knowing the packaging process and materials used how can 1 reliably know what the final total weight would be?, far to many factors involved to make an accurate guess.

My order with HBC was 25kg of grain and about 500g at most of other items. If standard cardboard boxing (must be a strong box if so) I'm guessing maybe 2kg of weight. Will see as order should be here today.

20. Jul 6, 2018 #20

robbym123

robbym123

robbym123

HBC normally use recycled boxes, that is boxes that their stock has been delivered in. Compared to some others they can look a bit 'high mileage by the time they arrive, but haven't had anything lost or missing. Did have one issue with hops that weren't properly vac packed, but they sent replacements quickly.