Ordering grain & supplies online?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered with HBC and ordered upto the limit and they have never charged for adding packaging weight on as far as I am aware and yes the packaging does leave something to be desired at times (recycled) but with DPD it has always got to me in ok condition

I just double checked my last order from HBC. They sent it in two packages after I topped up the order to £140 (twice free postage limit). I had one 25KG sack of grain, which was just sent with a postage label and some parcel tape around it. The rest of the order came to 30.8KG so was right at their weight limit. They didn't make a fuss about this.

HBC normally use recycled boxes, that is boxes that their stock has been delivered in. Compared to some others they can look a bit 'high mileage by the time they arrive, but haven't had anything lost or missing. Did have one issue with hops that weren't properly vac packed, but they sent replacements quickly.
I have had a damaged box from them. Couple of yeasts missing. But those were replaced straight away

This is where I realise I’m really lucky to live 15 minutes away from the home brew shop and I monthly(ish) drive past the malt miller and Brewuk.

We are fortunate here in the south east.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is where I realise I’m really lucky to live 15 minutes away from the home brew shop and I monthly(ish) drive past the malt miller and Brewuk.

We are fortunate here in the south east.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet that's not what your missus says when she sees you come in with yet another box of brewing stuff ;)

Well with HBC, my order did indeed come very well packaged and delivered by DPD and very happy with things. However, having got a latest offers email from HBC where I'd have got a few packs of each hops and yeast in that offer, I note that HBC don't look to have reduced postage costs on lower weight orders. Kind of frustrated to find this after seeing at least 4 packs of hops in the offer I'd have ordered.

Last edited:
You could always e-mail Shane. Like all the HB suppliers, he will be more than happy to discuss your requirements, I've no doubt.

You could always e-mail Shane. Like all the HB suppliers, he will be more than happy to discuss your requirements, I've no doubt.
Yes did in the end it's was £6.95 for another 31kg.

I ordered about 50kg so a total of £6.95 for delivery is good. One little gripe, all my grain was crushed but I mistakingly ordered pale chocolate in whole, it would have been nice for that to hav3 been picked up and someone ask me if it was correct

Yes did in the end it's was £6.95 for another 31kg.

I ordered about 50kg so a total of £6.95 for delivery is good. One little gripe, all my grain was crushed but I mistakingly ordered pale chocolate in whole, it would have been nice for that to hav3 been picked up and someone ask me if it was correct

If you ask nicely, I expect that he may send it you gratis, or at the least offer you a discount for the value on your next order.

Best approach is to tell people in business what a great offer theirs is, how much you appreciate!.... then explain your specific issue.

Back