Organ Donation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nige

Regular.
Reaction score
It seems that organ donation is no longer a donation. The gov soon will own any usable part of you without concent, should the word donation be dropped.? Thoughts?

This is England only. Wales already has assumed consent for organ donation. It's not compulsory though, either yourself or your next of kin can opt you out. Believe it or not the world has not collapsed into armageddon since they brought this in. I expect if you were slowly dieing in need of a new liver you'd be more than happy if this was the law in your parts.

not for me I want to go to heaven intact i'll need my liver to drink all that free beer

I think the gov are aware a hell of alot of people won't go to the trouble of finding and signing the forms to opt out and so gain millions of doners by default. I know donation is an important gift but I'm on the fence a bit with this one as to how they have done it, catching people out so to speak. Making the initial right there's is a bit like your guilty before you prove yourself innocent but then that's pretty much how it is, ha.

People are too lazy to opt in for it. So they're taking advantage of that because people will hopefully be to lazy to opt out. Which I completely agree with.

Only problem is, there will be assholes who now make the effort to go and opt out because it's making the news.

It's now something you must think about opting out doesn't make them arsoles imo it's there choice.

I think the gov are aware a hell of alot of people won't go to the trouble of finding and signing the forms to opt out and so gain millions of doners by default. I know donation is an important gift but I'm on the fence a bit with this one as to how they have done it, catching people out so to speak. Making the initial right there's is a bit like your guilty before you prove yourself innocent but then that's pretty much how it is, ha.
Regardless of weather you are registered or not the final decision is made by the person's family. We donated my mum's organs which I think is a great gift for someone to do. I am not registered but my family know if something happens to me and anything can be passed on to help others then they can take what is needed. It's a conversation most people should have with their partners and family.
Legally if your registered and the family refuse they could go to court but it's not going to happen. They have a small window to remove organs and get them to the person that needs them. It's normally the same surgeon who removes and fits the organ if I remember correctly

It's now something you must think about opting out doesn't make them arsoles imo it's there choice.
Maybe I wasn't clear sorry. The assholes will be the ones who now go out of there way to 'make a point' and opt out. The only reason people should be allowed to opt out is on religious grounds. But that's my opinion.

As long as they don't regularly take everything and fly it out to the US on ice to make a quick buck by selling them on the open market overseas. Typical price for one kidney is $2000 a piece.

I wonder if I can add that to my will "To have all organs sold on the American market upon death and funds distributed to my family"
I think I may be worth more dead than alive. ashock1

I think when the initial freedom of, to make a choice is taken away then its no longer a donation in my view. It becomes something you must decide on or else. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Last edited:
As long as they don't regularly take everything and fly it out to the US on ice to make a quick buck by selling them on the open market overseas. Typical price for one kidney is $2000 a piece.

I wonder if I can add that to my will "To have all organs sold on the American market upon death and funds distributed to my family"
I think I may be worth more dead than alive. ashock1

Nige says.
Ha, yes mabe it would pay for your funeral because a state pension won't even when you have paid into it all your life.

Last edited:
Then it should be Mandatory Organ Contribution acheers.
Wow that could be dangerous, where would they stop £3 month for donkey's and everything else on the planet. I can't say I'm into mandatory myself but Mabe they should have, at least it's honest and upfront.

Back