Organ Donation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of weather you are registered or not the final decision is made by the person's family. We donated my mum's organs which I think is a great gift for someone to do. I am not registered but my family know if something happens to me and anything can be passed on to help others then they can take what is needed. It's a conversation most people should have with their partners and family.
Legally if your registered and the family refuse they could go to court but it's not going to happen. They have a small window to remove organs and get them to the person that needs them. It's normally the same surgeon who removes and fits the organ if I remember correctly
Don't think that it is the same surgeon as most organs are dashed usually by motorcycle courier or ambulance to where the recipient is

Then it should be Mandatory Organ Contribution

Wow that could be dangerous, where would they stop £3 month for donkey's and everything else on the planet. I can't say I'm into mandatory myself but Mabe they should have, at least it's honest and upfront.

I want the decision as to what happens to me after i die i don't want the government to be the ones that decide.

I don't want to get into the reasons but i don't want to donate my organs and i do not want the government to force me to do so.
Was more rhetorical because I simply cannot see why people would want to not help others. Wasn't a personal jab.

It matters because its your decision and not anybodyelses exactly as Chippy says not for a government to enforce but "Freedom of choice"
But that ''freedom'' is causing people to miss out on living betters lives... Or living at all.

What you are saying is that there is a shortage of organ donors and we do need more but some of your statements have been seen by other people as being bombastic which I do not believe you are but very passionate about the subject but you do need to see that nothing in this country should really be made mandatory unless it is for security or safety of people. I probably would agree to my organs being donated but do want the freedom of choice as they are mine

What you are saying is that there is a shortage of organ donors and we do need more but some of your statements have been seen by other people as being bombastic which I do not believe you are but very passionate about the subject but you do need to see that nothing in this country should really be made mandatory unless it is for security or safety of people. I probably would agree to my organs being donated but do want the freedom of choice as they are mine
Just being honest and blunt on the subject. Some things should be mandatory yes, but I believe this should be one of them. No-one needs their organs when dead. You're either 2 meters underground or shoved in a furnace, what use are they to anyone at that point? So why have a choice?

But I'll leave it others to discuss.

It's always freedom of choice. I agree with organ donation but others don't which is there right. It shouldn't be deemed as wrong or right

unfortunately some people in this world are selfish but organ donation as always been a emotive subject and I am sure that some people in this forum have friends or family who have benefited from organ donation me included but I still believe that it is the choice of the individual however I do believe that the family should not be able to oppose a individuals wish to donate or not donate, if they have not opposed donation by filling in the relevant forms(the opt out forms whatever they maybe) it says to me that they were not that opposed to donation and the family should not be able to oppose it which would increase donors but still leave the freedom for people to opt out if they wish

Or Logans run where they kill everybody when they reach 30 and donate all their organs to Aliens

Regardless of weather you are registered or not the final decision is made by the person's family. We donated my mum's organs which I think is a great gift for someone to do. I am not registered but my family know if something happens to me and anything can be passed on to help others then they can take what is needed. It's a conversation most people should have with their partners and family.
Legally if your registered and the family refuse they could go to court but it's not going to happen. They have a small window to remove organs and get them to the person that needs them. It's normally the same surgeon who removes and fits the organ if I remember correctly

Agree completely, everyone should have this conversation with loved ones.

The court bit would apply to people who are for example brain dead but kept alive via ventilator, their organs are still working properly and could be kept like that indefinitely. A team usually flies to the hospital where they remove organs for donation which are then taken sometimes separately to where they are needed, another team would be notified and patient prepped for receiving the organ, sometimes they go abroad if there isn't a match. I've experienced this in an operating theatre many times and it's a very moving experience. I'm not the crying type but I have to admit i've shed the odd tear occasionally especially when the donors are very young.

My personal view is that they can take what they want after i'm gone and I think this is a good move, even if the government are expanding the donation pool just because most people are too lazy to opt out.

Back