Other hobbies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gardening ( veg growing particularly really unusual or rare veggies and fruits) fortnite , I play with a few other veteran player all 40+ the rage outs of the younglings when they realise they have had an ass whooping by an old git warms my cold heart.
Have 2 disabled adopted kids they are my life , son is now just heading into his second year of uni ( Asperger's ) and my daughter has severe autism and requires constant support and supervision.
My puddy cats Quasimodo and Merl's.

Great thread.
Like many others I put my own hobbies on hold when kids came along, but getting back into them now they are nearly teens.

Hunting, duck, deer, rabbits, possums, pigs.
Surfing. Fishing, sea and lakes, rivers.
Used to play rugby, too decrepit now, played soccer for a few seasons.
Main one though probably motorcycles. Prob got 20+ in the shed, mix of manufacturers and eras. From 1930s BSAs to 70s jap bikes, plus an ironhead haŕley I cafe'd. Plus an old 71 Ford I enjoy driving.
And reading. Most nights I'll read something...

Great thread.
Like many others I put my own hobbies on hold when kids came along, but getting back into them now they are nearly teens.

Are you allowed to hunt possums?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you allowed to hunt possums?
Oh yeah. They're a massive pest here, introduced from Australia with no natural predators so they destroy native forest and wildlife. There's a fur industry that is considered eco as they are such a problem...

Oh yeah. They're a massive pest here, introduced from Australia with no natural predators so they destroy native forest and wildlife. There's a fur industry that is considered eco as they are such a problem...
What about hedge hogs?

We got em. As far as I know they just snuffle around eating slugs...?
They eat the eggs of the Kiwi. You can eat hedgehogs don't know about possums. The Irving Vincent is made here in Melbourne, while I love speed I am afraid my balls aren't as big as John McGuinness.

Great thread.

Surfing. Fishing, sea and lakes, rivers.
Used to play rugby, too decrepit now, played soccer for a few seasons.
Main one though probably motorcycles. Prob got 20+ in the shed, mix of manufacturers and eras. From 1930s BSAs to 70s jap bikes, plus an ironhead haŕley I cafe'd. Plus an old 71 Ford I enjoy driving.
And reading. Most nights I'll read something...
Used to hunt as well , did my level 1&2 in deer management, these days the most I get to shoot is the odd rat that tries to munch my pumpkins.
Due to physical injuries I sustained I rely on crutches to walk ( permeant) so had to sell off my firearms.
Still have a couple of nice sub 12ftlb air rifles that I use at in the club and for vermin control.

I do miss the deer stalking though, witnessed some beautiful scenes , watched a roe deer doe giving birth to twins.
Something I'll never forget.

Bet you get a lot of meat from a deer, apparently there's millions too many deer in the woods, and a few species are non native, and they eat all the small trees and make it bare, so we're encouraged to eat them. Although they're probably eating the very same trees that we would be cutting down in a few years to build houses on 🤣

Bet you get a lot of meat from a deer, apparently there's millions too many deer in the woods, and a few species are non native, and they eat all the small trees and make it bare, so we're encouraged to eat them. Although they're probably eating the very same trees that we would be cutting down in a few years to build houses on 🤣
Ye a big red deer can be 18stone plus easy roe deer 30/40 kilos ish muntjack are tiddy little things lol.
Major issue is humans killed of the deer's natural predator ( wolf ) now they are uncontrolled in the large part , this causes interbreeding , genetic defects etc.
Rather than a relatively quick death for the old ones at the teeth of wolves now they mostly starve to death as their teeth are gone and they can't eat properly.
Many other issues as well hence more councils and landowners are finally realising that they need managing humanely.
Once dispatched a carcase also needs to be health checked prior to being declared fit for consumption.

My dad still hunts and dropped a carcase round a while back was about 45kg after grollocking ( innards removal ) , the look on my grandsons face as I was butchering it up on the kitchen table was one of fascination, shock , and a dawning that meat really does not come shrink wrapped in plastic from the magic meat fairy.
He's only 5 lol, I'll give him his dues, though he tucked into a monster portion of venison stew the following evening, even had seconds lol.
He helped tan the hide along with my lad. ;)

this causes interbreeding , genetic defects etc.
Rather than a relatively quick death for the old ones at the teeth of wolves now they mostly starve to death as their teeth are gone and they can't eat properly
I'm glad you kill off the ones with defects and bad teeth 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back