Other hobbies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a bit if metal detecting...in the 90's,before I started,in the UK there was a sudden, persistent frequency that played absolute havoc with Minelab machines...they sent people over from Australia and with a UK detecting shop owner travelled round the UK with scanners to find out where this signal was coming from...
The story has it that it came from a military base and it was an ultra low frequency used to contact nuclear submarines...the problems were relayed to whoever and it stopped...

It would have had to be really way down at the very bottom, I think metal detectors or 20 ish mhz......

The 1100mhz I'm convinced is from a cell tower.....:mad:

12-08-2020 19-35-14.jpg

Detector frequency is measured in kHz...some have fixed others have a selection and some operate in multi frequency
Higher frequency is good for small objects while lower goes deeper so fixed usually fall mid way as a trade off...though are not much good on wet salt beach or very high mineralised ground as the detector can see it,giving false signals.

I had one back in the 80's, just been reading about the history of them, so it was probably one of the first ones out around about that time. great fun they are!

I also got one of these!! awesome fun!!!

If you want to listen to aircraft and airfields, you can use Global Tuners

I was going to start feeding this from the other Pi that I have but that 1100mhz interference is so bad it's pointless me sending data to that site as all you can get is a little bit of narrow band, and normal FM channels.
I subscribed to Global Tuners awhile back as I was acting as ATC on the Vatsim network for flight simulators, but I found anything of interest had pretty much become unavailable.

I bet that's worth a few quid...you got it autographed?
I have a stack of old Motor Racing programmes from events I attended in the fifties, bundled up somewhere in the attic. One club meeting at Silverstone shows a certain B. Ecclestone competing in a 500cc Formula 3 car I remember. This cover shows that it was all about Country versus Country in those days, with Britain’s BRM leading Italian, French and Belgium cars. Note that crash helmets were still not mandatory.

DSCN2277.JPG

(I don't know how to use the quote button, like wtf? when I click it nothing happens) The programs look in great condition, get some more pictures up if you can! athumb..

Rock climbing. We made a few youtube video's too.

Here is me on second, climbing a fun route.

Yes but you have a good point, the quote button is bust and the reply button is actually the quote button

It isn't broken but It doesn't work in the way you expect it to, if you click the quote button you should see a "added to multiquote" message the more you quote the more are added when you want to post you click on "insert quotes" (bottom left of the box where you type posts) and it gives you a list of quotes you have selected you add them and post your reply.

See example below -

Back