Other hobbies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my current schedule, works for me:
IPA
Stout
Bock
Dubbel
Bitter
Pale ale
Dunkel

I like to keep the liver guessing.

Fishing, music listening to and attempts at guitar ( Just bought a lovely Gretsch) keep chickens and tropical fish too

Anything with two wheels. I've got 3 mountain bikes 2 road bikes and 2 motorbikes. The red one on the right is my favourite it's bloody bonkers.
20200523_163833.jpg

For those into fishing, there are three fishing videos about fishing down under, carp is regarded as a noxious species in Australia, they are netted and turned into pellet and liquid fertilizer. After using it, your garden smells like a drying keep net.

I used to do the Medieval re-enactment thing. Trained in Longsword and was good fun, but took up too many weekends then my wife got sick.
I enjoy Ham radio using old military gear, which led to electronics repair, which I'm now more involved in, down to repairing iphones, tablets and anything else I need but can't afford. I think all my house TV's were freebies because they were non working, and is a very cheap way to buy anything if you can repair it. Now I'm designing and manufacturing things.
Also gardening...to the extent that I asked the council to set up an allotment site around here. This has let to me being the Chairman of a charity set up to enable this with 60 people involved when all I wanted was to grow some spuds.:rolleyes:

Another passion is this-
102_6178.JPG

1968 Ex-Mil Series 2a. (Excuse the wheels - using up the rubber before new boots.) Right now she is a hard top with van sides for the winter, but in the summer she has full tilt or goes topless like this. I just love how you can change it within an afternoon to suit your mood, how basic it is (No relays - heater and passenger wiper was an option), and I have literally built it myself. And it seems to make everyone smile.

I like that! But...I tried a series 3(?) from a chap I work and the seats don't move far enough back against the bulk head so I can't deal with it..

I like that! But...I tried a series 3(?) from a chap I work and the seats don't move far enough back against the bulk head so I can't deal with it..
I agree it is cramped if you are tall. You can carve out the mid bulkhead and fit a bar but is not original, and a known issue. If you want comfortable - buy a Toyota.
I like the "natural" air conditioning too of front flaps open in the summer. Or just take the door tops off. Although I'm not brave enough to take the doors off completely or fold down the screen - but is legal.

I used to do the Medieval re-enactment thing. Trained in Longsword and was good fun, but took up too many weekends then my wife got sick.
Was that C15th? Which group were you with?

I’m sorry to hear your wife got sick, I really hope she’s doing well!!

Also loving the landy. My brother is really into his landies (auto correct tried to change that to pandora! 🤣) and has got a TD5 90 and they use an MOD 110 as a tractor. Rough and ready but so much fun!

Was that C15th? Which group were you with?

I’m sorry to hear your wife got sick, I really hope she’s doing well!!

Also loving the landy. My brother is really into his landies (auto correct tried to change that to pandora! 🤣) and has got a TD5 90 and they use an MOD 110 as a tractor. Rough and ready but so much fun!
It was a pike group mainly but we split off and set up our own. Not sure of the name but did a display with the Royal Armouries at Bannockburn. Practiced with Aberdeen Swordsmanship Group. Longsword following Fiore dei Liberi teachings 14C.
As we had to buy or make our own equipment, mine was made for me by an armourer who is still technically an outlaw as his ancestor made arms against the king!
It comes with a lifetime guarantee, as they all do.:laugh8: Only these days people live longer.

I love a bit of fiore! I constantly find myself asking myself what posta I’m in. I never got on with longer pole weapons. I like to be up close and personal. A poleaxe was my polearm of choice.

My harness was built in wales by a chap who’s done stuff for royal armouries in York. Love the back story to yours though! Who was it?

Have you ever got into HEMA?

I didn't get on with the pike group either. As you say more fun close up.
I may have had a few bouts with the Black Boar group. Not sure HEMA was around when I was doing it or I would have heard I think. The_ASG1 in my name just stuck with me from when I was with the Aberdeen Swordsmanship Group. Glad to see they are still running.
Honestly can't remember the guys name that made my sword, but he had a little shop, and quite a few of the group bought from him. Good temper and spring, and not as heavy as the short swords I've seen others using. Mine seems to have developed a slight twist over time.
Kept me fit.
The Gauntlets coming out of eastern Europe now are amazing for the price. Saves squished fingers which was a common problem with us. One of the girls got stabbed in practice but not too bad. Otherwise nothing major and probably less dangerous than cricket.

Spent all day today making a cake for my brother-in-law’s birthday. He’s into tropical fish.
42E27D90-C40D-43C6-83FB-A0D734831070.jpeg

Unfortunately I made the cream cheese lemon buttercream a bit soft so it bulges in the middle and there’s a fold in the side fondant coat due to this. It was fun but I’ve been told off for taking too long to make a cake. I just hope it tastes good. The fish started off fun to make but that wore off quickly with the clown fish.

I’m planning on an overnight mash for my double lager batch so I can do the boil tomorrow morning before the birthday lunch.

Spent all day today making a cake for my brother-in-law’s birthday. He’s into tropical fish.
View attachment 72873

Unfortunately I made the cream cheese lemon buttercream a bit soft so it bulges in the middle and there’s a fold in the side fondant coat due to this. It was fun but I’ve been told off for taking too long to make a cake. I just hope it tastes good. The fish started off fun to make but that wore off quickly with the clown fish.

I’m planning on an overnight mash for my double lager batch so I can do the boil tomorrow morning before the birthday lunch.

It looks really good, very artistic! 👏

Back