Other uses for WY3944 Belgian Witbier?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlacat

Reaction score
I've got a Witbier in the FV, fermented with WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier, which I am going to transfer at the end of this week. I'm going to save some of the slurry, and am wondering if anyone has had any experience/success in using this yeast in other styles (Belgian or otherwise)? I'm thinking about giving it a go in either a Belgian pale, golden strong, or Tripel at the end of the year to see how it pans out...

I've no personal experience but can point out that Wyeast lists the appropriate styles for the strain here.

Keeping slurry for 8 months or so in the fridge might result in the yeast cells being in poor condition.

Why not do a Trippel soon-ish, as that will be a good beer by Year End, in better shape than the slurry would be in the fridge!
I re-use yeast frequently as slurry, but 3 months seems long enough for all but the most desperate!

Why not do a Trippel soon-ish, as that will be a good beer by Year End, in better shape than the slurry would be in the fridge!
I re-use yeast frequently as slurry, but 3 months seems long enough for all but the most desperate!

Too many beers planned, not enough time with work and kids (nor enough kegs)... :laugh8: I have a hefeweizen, two or three IPAs, and one or two saisons lined up next, so probably won't have time to brew something with this yeast until the autumn.

I haven't kept slurry long term - not viable for keeping until the autumn for a starter?

It is certainly going to viable, in the sense that there will be enough live cells, but what else will come with those cells?
The trouble with trub (sic) is that it comes with the by-products and dead cells that break down further.
Top cropping and storing / fermenting with clean wort might be a plan for longer term storage?
But perhaps that is job we should outsource to commercial yeast producers?
I have 12-16 little bottles of slurry at the moment, sitting in the fridge. Might use half, maybe?

It is certainly going to viable, in the sense that there will be enough live cells, but what else will come with those cells?
The trouble with trub (sic) is that it comes with the by-products and dead cells that break down further.
Top cropping and storing / fermenting with clean wort might be a plan for longer term storage?
But perhaps that is job we should outsource to commercial yeast producers?
I have 12-16 little bottles of slurry at the moment, sitting in the fridge. Might use half, maybe?

Sod it, I'm going to brew a tripel next week with the 3944 slurry!

I usually tend to use slurry within a month - have you had any luck/experience with top cropping for storage?

Sod it, I'm going to brew a tripel next week with the 3944 slurry!

I usually tend to use slurry within a month - have you had any luck/experience with top cropping for storage?

No top cropping for me, though I do now chuck the stuff off the top of FV into the slurry.

Trippel is a great style that improves with ageing.

Kegged and bottled my tripel with 3944 yesterday - samples tasted excellent. Looking forward to trying this after around 6 weeks' ageing.

Latest posts

Back