Out of date Brewferm Gallia & Oranje Bock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some yeast advice sought.
I have 2 kits of each of these Brewferm kits and am intending to do 23l brews. Conscious that the yeast may be past its best so was going to get some fresh stuff.
Any suggestions as to what yeast(s) should I go for?

For the bock, a clean top-fermenting yeast or a lager yeast (although that should be fermented at a low temperature, however, my experience with bock is that they are best like that, with a couple of weeks lagering).

For the Gallia, an abbey yeast, as it is a Belgian style beer.

Which yeast brands does your local homebrew shop have in stock?

Thank you for that.
I was trawling youtube and one of BrewmasterBens videos caught my attention regarding K97 yeast because it wasnt as fussy about being at lower temperatures 15-20C, so that was in my sights.
My local hbs is very limited when it comes to yeast - Youngs. They stock kits, rather than malt etc.
So it will be an online purchase, so probably pick up a safale abbey as well.

Cheers.

The w34-70 is a really clean fermenter even at room temps.

I read the brulosophy blogs and had a go. I made one quick lager fermented at 20c, crash cooled and kegged. Then one which started at 10c and raised after 50% gravity to 20c before crashing and kegging.

The second was better to be fair but not by that much and if I wasn’t able to control temps, I’d not hesitate to ferment w34/70 at 20c.

I thank you.
I do not have the luxury of space, so having a yeast that performs well at ambient temperature or with the aid of a heat pad, is much appreciated.
Look forward to seeing how w34/70 performs in my setup.
Cheers

Very pleased with my out of date Brewferm Gallia with fresh safbrew BE-256. Thanks for the recommendation yeast wise. Hopefully.i cam leave it alone for a while and let it bottle condition properly.
Gota festival kit to bottle then can get the Oranje Bock started.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20210531_205524.jpg
    20210531_205524.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 44
Back