Out of date ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul7189

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve just found an all grain kit I must have ordered a few years back because the hops (Citra) are marked best before December 2020 and the yeast (dry wheat wb06) should have been used by Feb 2021. The grain is in sealed bags with no date on. I’m going to brew it up anyway but might use some fresh hops depending on if they still smell okay or not and see what happens. Anyone else had any joy with really old ingredients?

I'm still using hop pellets that are well over 6 years old. Got a bit carried away back then and stocked up. Kept vac packed and in the freezer they'll be good for a while 👍

Cheers Tom

How were the hops stored? If frozen they should be okay. Give then a sniff, if they smell hoppy you're fine.
A few months ago I brewed a batch of bitter with a pack of Muntons dated November 2016.
Take a couple of the grains and chew them. If they're crunchy you're good to go.

How were the hops stored? If frozen they should be okay. Give then a sniff, if they smell hoppy you're fine.
A few months ago I brewed a batch of bitter with a pack of Muntons dated November 2016.
Take a couple of the grains and chew them. If they're crunchy you're good to go.

They have been stored nitrogen flushed and vacuum sealed in a foil bag but have just been in the back of the garage so temps anywhere between freezing and maybe 15-18°C I guess. They’re going in anyway as they still smell of hops. Not as strong as I would expect Citra to be but still definitely hops 😂

Back