Out of date kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger

Reaction score
I've just found a tin of Coopers Stout in the back of the cupboard dated best before, 30/8/2015 . Think it's worth a go or should I just chuck it away & buy new?

Just finished the last of my kits that are over 2.5 years out of date. They make this thing that's sort of like beer. I noticed the twang a lot but my friend didn't and thought it was alright. It had a fair amount of dry hopping and was made with spraymalt, too.

You might as well do it, but might need to change the yeast. I've found even the worst kits make fairly good shandy so go that route if they're really ****.

Cheers Drunkula for your reply. Yeah, I've got nothing to lose so I'll make it with 1kg of dark spraymalt & some brown sugar. What yeast do you think I should replace it with?

Twang...That's interesting. My 18months out of date Coopers Mexican Cerveza is 7 weeks old and still tastes of cider! Twang indeed!

I made a lions pride kit that was 3 years out of date 28/5 used 500gm of ood light spraymalt too.

OG 1050
G 8/6 1025
Added 100g brewers sugar and wilkos gervin ale yeast
Bottled 12/6 @ FG 1016 simply because i was too damn impatient as it was my first brew after about 4 years hence the ood kit!
Needless to say it was twangy forwell over a month. Ive put 12 away for xmas but the last bottle i had was excellent if abit strong on liquorice! No twang! Which i do believe is down to impatience in bottle conditioning! Seems OOD kits just need longer!

Its funny my 2nd kit back to brewing was a wilko cerveza which i used 500g light spraymalt (indate) and even after a few months tastes of nothing! I swear its like putting a wedge of lime in smart price lager!

Latest posts

Back