Daddynoob

Reaction score
I have a out of dat my tins premium lager
March 2018
Would it be ok to use if I got fresh yeast
And if so what kind of yeast as I just use what comes with the kit

terrym

Reaction score
Buy a pack of Crossmyloof Brewery Kolsch yeast and ferment below 20*C is my suggestion if you have no brew fridge.
Malt extract tends to darken as it ages so it might turn out looking more like a pale ale.

jof

Reaction score
I can confirm the malt extract darkens, but you also loose some of the 'hoppy-ness'

My son recently returned with a Timothy Taylors kit from 2013 that his friends dad gave him.

We brewed it up anyway as it was a freebie.

I was most surprised that the dried yeast supplied with was still viable & I didn't have to use my reserve packet.

Its very dark & very malt heavy in taste.
If I had been able to anticipate this, I would have added an hop tea to it before fermenting.

Drunkula

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would have added an hop tea to it before fermenting.
I'd add a hop tea after fermentation unless it's just bitterness you want. I did a three way split of a dry hop vs early hop tea vs late hop tea and the early hop tea was really nothingy compared to the other two.

Pavros

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would do as Terry says.
Cml yeasts are pretty good and you could also buy a 25g hop teabag for dry hopping at the same time. Pick a usual lager hop (perhaps something like Saaz or Tettnang - I don't brew lager but I'm sure someone can suggest something suitable if these 2 are no good).

Latest posts