Out of date spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanB

Reaction score
Alright lads ,

Just got some sprat malt from my brew shop and was told it was out of date but will still be ok to use or they still wouldnt have it on sale. It expired at the end of march just want a secondary opinion if it still will be ok too use ?

What are you planning to use it for? If you are using it for priming bottles, with a kit or yeast starter i would have though it would be ok with it beign high in sugars.

I would be more hesitant to use it personally though if you're relying on it for flavour as I think i have read that this is what suffers as it gets older.

boozy_shoes said:
What are you planning to use it for? If you are using it for priming bottles, with a kit or yeast starter i would have though it would be ok with it beign high in sugars.

I would be more hesitant to use it personally though if you're relying on it for flavour as I think i have read that this is what suffers as it gets older.

I was gonna use it to brew my stout kit tommorow :cry: thought it would be ok with it being not to far out of date.

I reckon you should go for it, assuming it's not congealed into one massive lump and is still sealed.

jonnymorris said:
I reckon you should go for it, assuming it's not congealed into one massive lump and is still sealed.

All sealed Jonny and still very powdery , just dont want it to wreck my brew with it being my first :thumb:

It'll be fine IMO :thumb:

Like every food product these days it's got to have a sell by date. When that sell by date passes, the product does not start to automatically decompose :D

Like all foodstuffs, a little bit of common sense prevails, if it's green and mouldy - don't bother :sick: , if it's sealed up and powdery it'll be fine - it's been spray dried for a reason, one of them is longevity ;)

We are conditioned in this country to chuck perfectly good stuff out because a date has gone past what's been printed on packaging..... :roll:

Check out the latest schemes around the country where people are setting up food distribution depots with food from major supermarkets. They are dishing out 'out of date' food to some grateful people in our very own 'Great' Britain... :(

:hmm:

you won't be short of malt characters in your stout kit anyway so i'd definitely go for it!

I have used stuff nearly a year out of date without a problem. As someone said the dates not the be all and end all. You must not be too worried or you wouldn't have bought it. Let us know how the first brew goes though, it's always an exciting one! :thumb:

Thank you all for the replies this is very reasuring to here :cheers: will let you know how the first one goes tommorow and I will stick up some pics also.

dennisking said:
I only use spray malt for yeast starters and never realised they had sell by dates.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I rest my case M'Lud :lol: :lol: :lol:

yep

I use them for yeast starters - even when I have to start chipping bits of malt off!

Should be okay esp. in a stout.

Happy brewing

F

Latest posts

Back