Outback Ale: an easy drinking golden ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Everyone needs some Nelson Sauvin in their lives and this easy drinking, balanced golden ale aims to deliver just that along with a late pairing of Galaxy to add some complimentary passion fruit flavours.

This is not a hop bomb. Malt and hops are in balance to deliver a golden coloured, fruity yet malty ale with smooth background low-level bitterness. Here's the recipe for a 23 litre batch.
Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.88 L
Post Boil Volume: 24.48 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L 
Bottling Volume: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008 SG
Estimated ABV: 4.6%
Estimated Color: 13.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          %/IBU         Volume     
28.69 L          Tesco Ashbeck                                    Water         -             -           
4.70 ml          Lactic Acid (60% conc.) (Mash)                   Water Agent   -             -           
2.90 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   -             -           
2.30 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   -             -           
1.70 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   -             -           
3.16 kg          Crisp Clear Choice Ale Malt (5.5 EBC)            Grain         81.0 %        2.06 L     
0.59 kg          Munich Malt (20.0 EBC)                           Grain         15.0 %        0.38 L     
0.16 kg          Crystal Light (Crisp) (155.0 EBC)                Grain         4.0 %         0.10 L     
15.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           20.0 IBUs     -           
20.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min          Hop           9.7 IBUs      -           
1.00 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 7.0 mins)                 Fining        -             -           
20.00 g          Galaxy [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min                  Hop           6.1 IBUs      -           
1.0 pkg          Vermont Ale (Yeast Bay #-)                       Yeast         -             -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.91 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In           Add 23.69 L of water at 69.3 C          66.5 C        60 min

I fined in the corny keg with Kwik Clear, purged the head space and set at 18 psi to carbonate over two weeks. The resulting ale was clear in a week and ready in two.

ng054Qq.png

Last edited:
Sounds great and I love Nelson sauvin, it's a shame it's so damn expensive, £9.95 for 100g on homebrewcompany ashock1

Yeah, that does sound very nice indeed, and looks like a balanced recipe. A little surprised that you needed the acid in the mash?

Sounds great and I love Nelson sauvin, it's a shame it's so damn expensive, £9.95 for 100g on homebrewcompany ashock1

£7.25 at Crossmyloof including delivery. Not cheap, and neither's Galaxy but they do make a lovely brew.

Yeah, that does sound very nice indeed, and looks like a balanced recipe. A little surprised that you needed the acid in the mash?

I use Brunwater for minerals and acid calculations. The target water profile was amber balanced. Without acid the estimated pH was 5.58. With acid it came down to 5.33. The former isn't particularly bad, but with the acid it's more like where I want the pH of a pale ale to be.

upload_2019-2-28_21-20-27.png

This is my 2nd effort of this one, a very nice easy drinking beer that I would recommend brewing! The 2nd batch is maltier and less hoppy than the first, I think because I used a much bigger stock pot for the 2nd batch and it allowed the malt to infuse better, probably more how it's supposed to taste and I like it.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-28_21-20-8.png
    upload_2019-2-28_21-20-8.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 117
View attachment 18094

This is my 2nd effort of this one, a very nice easy drinking beer that I would recommend brewing! The 2nd batch is maltier and less hoppy than the first, I think because I used a much bigger stock pot for the 2nd batch and it allowed the malt to infuse better, probably more how it's supposed to taste and I like it.
Nice looking pint you've got there athumb.. I'm doing this one again in about 6 weeks. I'll do the same recipe but fermented with some Wyeast 1469 that needs using up.

Back