Outdoor security light

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thought that it was time to replace the outdoor security light on the garage as it's a bit perilous trying to make it to the garage in the dark to pull a beer.

I got a new one from Screwfix yesterday and noticed that it was saying that I should loop the wire coming from the light below the home drilled into the garage wall. I'm not an electrician, so the only reason I can think of doing this is to minimise any water running down wire towards hole in garage wall (even though I have siliconed it up to prevent this).

Could anyone tell me why I need to install the light as shown in the diagram.

IMG_20220312_104351.jpg

I think the first picture is a little overkill but it is defiantly to stop water running into the hole where the cable goes into the wall.

Also might be because if you routed it like the one on the right there wouldn't be any slack when it was pointing 30 degrees down, not leaving enough of a drip collector.

Sky dish installers don't seem to use this technique as I've seen water coming in on our cable

Latest posts

Back