Over Carb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Rennie

Reaction score
I’ve only gone and got my calculations wrong, a stout that is as carbed as a lambic. Can I do anything other than accept a fizzy stout? It’s planned for Xmas but thought I would give it a try early?

Might have to make another batch for Xmas.

Making another batch for Xmas is always a good idea anyway.
Have you bottled the stuff yet, or stuck it in a keg, or what? There's loads that can be done, bottled being the hardest, but far from impossible.

I take it the stout is in 500ml bottles? Whenever you want to serve/drink one, get a large jug (at least 2L), then pour the beer into the jug trying to create a large head as possible, without the beer overflowing the jug. Then let the head settle down. This will knock a good deal of the carbonation out of the beer. One the head is settled, pour into a glass. You will then have a much less carbed beer

Ahhh I feel your pain. I had my first bottle bomb last week and ended up having to waste 10 bottles. Luckily I’d just gotten a couple 5L mini kegs and had force carbonated one, and used the same sugar ratio as the bottles in the other. I’ve pushed off pressure from the natural keg a few times but have just attached the tap and popped it in the fridge, hoping the pressure valve will go before the tap is forced open and/or banging it in the fridge will save it :( calculators are the devil :(

If they are bottled ease the top off release the co2 and re cap.

Yes, this does work, but is easier with screw top PET bottles. Only to be used in an emergency situation, or Drunkula will vent wrath on this discredited, old fashioned approach to conditioning.

Both the above work and work well. I always use PETs with wheat beers as they seem to keep on going forever. I also observe that ANYTHING I make with MJ M84 Bohemian lager yeast fobs when opening the bottle no matter how well attenuated and lagered the beer may be. Nope it's not an infection issue* as I've had this over three years with several different packets and no other yeast does it.

* in fact one batch was infected with acetobacter and, having cleaned up the pellicle and bottled with no head space, I found the beer to be as good as all the others.

A bsolutely cracking advise, as always. Looks like I’ll be popping 20 ish beers this weekend, only to re cap them.

My next issue is.... with it being for Xmas and consumption being slightly higher I would save myself (and father in law) effort by mini kegging two. I think I’ll open the bottles and recap, leaving the mini kegs and use the jug method for these, after letting the father in law open the first .

Thanks again all, I think I worked out my mistake. I cold crashed it and bottled cold, with my calculations being for 18c. Difference is about 30g (or about 30%).

My follow up question is, do you allow the beer to warm up or prime with less sugar?

Thanks again all, I think I worked out my mistake. I cold crashed it and bottled cold, with my calculations being for 18c. Difference is about 30g (or about 30%).

My follow up question is, do you allow the beer to warm up or prime with less sugar?
That wasn't your mistake. When the calcs ask you for a temperature they want the maximum it reached during fermentation.

So... exactly how much sugar did you add to how much beer then?

I’ll check my book but from memory it was about 100g in 20l, which is a usual amount.
I cracked the screw tops, flip tops and mini kegs and plan to leave them a week to see what they are like before popping the capped ones.

What temperature are you storing your bottles?

Bottled beers always get a bit fizzy this time of year if stored at room temp, I've moved mine out of the garage into the house as the garage is just too hot - I had some fizzy ones a few weeks ago but they've settled down now. If I'm going to get bottle bombs, it's generally this time of year.

What temperature are you storing your bottles?

Bottled beers always get a bit fizzy this time of year if stored at room temp, I've moved mine out of the garage into the house as the garage is just too hot - I had some fizzy ones a few weeks ago but they've settled down now. If I'm going to get bottle bombs, it's generally this time of year.
Hadn’t thought of that, it is a little warmed. But I had chilled the ones I had drank, which might explain why they were a little fizzy

Latest posts

Back