Over crashed beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donjon

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Strong Dark (of about 13%) which I've cold crashed way too hard. Half of the batch has been at 18 Celsius for 2 weeks and it's got a tiny bit of fizz. I'm thinking of adding fresh yeast when I bottle the rest of it and it's occurred to me that I could use a cold tolerant lager type strain and leave it at room temperature, saving space in my fermentation chamber.

Can you suggest any yeasts which
1) Can tolerate alcohol of 13%
2) Can ferment down to 10 Celsius
3) Has an attenuation of lower than 85%

Does a strain exist which is suitable? It was originally pitched with MJ M41

Failing that, should I just pitch some fresh M41?

Hi, I've been in much the same situation and wondered the same things. However, following advice here I left the bottles another two weeks warm and it carbonated perfectly. The science bit is that there will always be yeast left no matter how clear the beer is and yes it will work with bottle priming, it just might take a bit longer.

Anna

If your carbonating with table sugar ec-1118 should fit the bill
Alc to 18%
Will ferment down to less than 10c
Not sure how it does with beer sugars to be honest as its a wine yeast.

It is often used as a high alcohol yeast,Or for restarting stuck fermentation's,
But its main purpose in life is carbonating champagne from a starting alc in excess of 10%.
It is also co2 resistant to a pressure of over 100psi. And clears better than most yeasts
It is also a killer yeast which makes it useful in mixed yeast fermentation's which it will dominate.
Finally it has an extremely "Neutral" ester profile.

Last edited:
Lovely. I can run a few different trials. Leave the bottles in the ferment chamber for longer then try some ec -1118 too. I'm hoping the EC 1118 won't be comping through sugars the M41 weren't able to touch, otherwise I'm going to have a bottle bomb situation.

Latest posts

Back