Over did it with bittering hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the old Camra and David Line books I'm still using advocate adding a teaspoon of salt as a addition per 5 galls. Have to say I've never bothered in my 30 years of brewing. But I'm sure at that level it won't do any harm and the results reported will be found at those quantities.

What IBU did you aim for? Do you have the recipe?

I'm intrigued because, no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to achieve adequate bitterness. The only over-bittered beer I've tasted was at a beer festival, can't remember what it was but my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth: reckon they got something wrong in the brew that time.
Try mashing at a lower temp (eg 62 deg C) so you end up with more maltose and dextrins. The former will ferment out quicker. For my hoppy pale ale I dry hop with Bramling X at the rate of 1.5 oz per 5 galls and i use Pilgrim and Challenger for the main boil and Challenger for late hops.

One thing you might get away with is adding a sugar which is non-fermentable. I seem to recall lactose being used for this purpose. Do it in a pint of the beer first so you can judge how much to use and whether or not it works for you.

Back