Over vigorous Ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning All

I returned from a week abroad at the weekend to find the brew fridge had been redecorated with some of the contents of my FV. It is my first AG effort (Darkstar - Festival). It was already a slightly ill fated brew in that the boiler tripped out prior to late addition hops which went in at about 60 degrees (prior to relaising boiler had packed in I had just topped up with some cool water that I was going to take back to the boil) and I also forgot my Irish moss in the confusion

Anyway, I digress, I have not dealt with ensuing mess due largely to being hung over, jet lagged and otherwise engaged all weekend. The airlock is a standard bubbler which I had filled with vodka. I am half inclined just to leave for another couple of days and then cold crash and hope for the best rather than messing about with it at this stage. My question is are what of the consequences of krausen blasting through the airlock other than a mess. Should I have been less lazy and sorted it out by now?

I am aware that a blow-off tube can alleviate this risk - as I am planning a higher gravity brew fpor the coming weekend I would appreciate any links to beginners guide to blow-off tubes.

Cheers in advance

Horners

If your fv has the little black grommet in the hole in the lid standard pvc tube can be snugly fitted through it. Then put the end of the tube into any old bottle with some starsan solution or similar keeping the end submerged. Depth adjustment should get you bubbling....be aware though blow off tubes can block up.

Thanks both - and the likelihood of having done anything untoward to this current batch?

It's probably a good sign as far as fermentation is concerned. I've had two particularly explosive fermentations and they were both competition gold medal winners.
I wouldn't leave the mess too long though, it's a perfect breeding ground for all sorts of nasties.

So no feeling delinquent for not sorting out as soon as I got home on Saturday morning.

As a post script to this, I have finally cleaned the mess up. First signs were not great in that liquid that had gathered on top of FV was malt vinegar but having carefully mopped up the actual remaining 21 L smells and tastes like OK green beer down to 1012 after 10 days.

I would say though that as I took lid off I had my nose staight in and any lingering nasal hair was singed straight off by an extremely powerfl burst of someting that nearly knocked me off my feet.

As I might have previously mentioned, had boiler problems towards end of brew and it seemed lacking from tonight's sample jar so have thrown in a fistful of EKG as a dry hop to try and lift it.

The great piece of advice from the forum of being your own master brewer ringing true - two months ago I would just have packaged it and then moaned.

Keep up the good work.

That nasal hair burning aroma is what would be keeping the brew safe. In my experience. Always resist the urge to open the lid and have a look. I actually wash my FV on the outside after brewing. And if anything does go wrong. Wash it on the outside without taking the lid off. If possible.

Ive used pipe into a demijohn many times when brewing Belgian style beers as the krausen on those can be massive.

Quick warning from my sisters husband, don't leave a blow off tube in liquid when chilling as the CO2 dissolving can suck it up the tube.

Isn’t that a song from that damn film Frozen??

(Can’t you tell I’ve got girls as kids? )
I'll keep my lad well away from that film
I noticed asterix on Netflix earlier he can have that on repeat every day for all I care

Latest posts

Back