Overnight brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
At the moment we are trying to move house, so the weekends have become tidying up frenzies before someone comes round, followed by going round to see other recently tidied houses. Not much time for brewing!!

So never done this before, but I'm going to try brewing during the week. I've seen other people mash overnight, so I'm going to give it a go. The plan is mash in tomorrow evening, run off and sparge on Tuesday morning before work, then get the boil on Tuesday evening. I'm sure others have done this before. Any tips or stuff to watch out for would be appreciated. For instance can a stuck mash be a problem if you leave it for so long and is the mash temp important on a long mash?

Make sure you keep the mash well insulated overnight (wrap in old duvets, coats blankets etc) as if the temp drops too low I think below 50c it starts to go into the Lactobillus territory and will get a cheesy smell. Apart from that once you have sparged and run off as long as it is stored with as little air in the container as possible it can be kept longer than you require before boiling
P.s do a mash out to raise the temp a little helps to keep the temp up overnight say 75c
Good Luck

Make sure you keep the mash well insulated overnight (wrap in old duvets, coats blankets etc) as if the temp drops too low I think below 50c it starts to go into the Lactobillus territory and will get a cheesy smell. Apart from that once you have sparged and run off as long as it is stored with as little air in the container as possible it can be kept longer than you require before boiling
P.s do a mash out to raise the temp a little helps to keep the temp up overnight say 75c
Good Luck
That's great advice! Thanks!

Well it turned out alright! Did two brews a Munich Dunkel and an IPA.

Mashed in at 10pm on Monday night at 68C.

At 6am Tuesday morning temp had dropped to 57C. Sparged before work and left wort in their kettles.

Got home about 4:30pm. Turned the kettles on and they were up to boil by 5:30pm.

Boiled until 7pm. Chilled and run off - in the brew fridge by 10pm. All done in 24 hours. My longest ever brewday.

Efficiency was 70%. Checked this evening and they've got nice fluffy krausens, so all good. We'll see how they turn out. Should be ready for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back