Overnight hop stand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yveei

Reaction score
I was wondering: what's the longest hop stand anyone has tried?

I've been brewing for about 5 years, and when I get round to doing an IPA it's never hoppy enough!

Recently I read about "no-chill" which is what I've been doing all this time, and have come to realise my late additions have probably been in vain.

So today I'm going for an overnight hop stand!
I've added 50g of Fuggles (5% AA) to the fermenter while the wort was at 80C to see what happens.

I'm expecting an increase in IBUs initially but as the temperature drops I'm thinking the hop flavour / aroma will continue to be imparted.

I would go for something like Mosaic, Citra, Cascade, Galaxy etc as I find they have more of a "hoppy IPA" character to them. Also is there a reason you're not dry hopping them in your fermenter?

@Hazelwood Brewery - great, I was thinking it would be around that value for IBUs too!
Fingers crossed there is no vegetal flavours!

Thanks for the info @Paul7189 - I need to buy some more hops so I'll pick up one of the ones you suggested. Maybe that's where I've been going wrong! I've been using Saaz, Styrian, and now Fuggles for my IPAs but maybe they're the "wrong" ones.

I've done some dry hopping but I'm starting to think I didn't go big enough. Last time I dry hopped 38g Saaz (3.5% AA) for 5 days but couldn't really taste it in the finished bottled beer.

@Hazelwood Brewery - great, I was thinking it would be around that value for IBUs too!
Fingers crossed there is no vegetal flavours!

Thanks for the info @Paul7189 - I need to buy some more hops so I'll pick up one of the ones you suggested. Maybe that's where I've been going wrong! I've been using Saaz, Styrian, and now Fuggles for my IPAs but maybe they're the "wrong" ones.

I've done some dry hopping but I'm starting to think I didn't go big enough. Last time I dry hopped 38g Saaz (3.5% AA) for 5 days but couldn't really taste it in the finished bottled beer.
@yveei I know this is a very old post, but I was browsing and I wondered how this long overnight hop stand worked out for you,.
Cheers

Last edited:
@

@yveei I know this is a very old post, but I was browsing and I wondered how this long overnight hop stand worked out for you,.
Cheers
Hello!

The overnight hop stand was fine, no off flavours and from memory there wasn't a significant increase in IBUs.

One thing I did notice though is that I can't really taste the hop flavour still.

So just last week I did an overnight hop stand but once the wort had reached 40C.
I'm thinking at 80C the heat is driving off some/all of the hop flavour.

That beer is literally in the fermenter at the moment so it's going to be at least a week or two before I know if it's had any effect

Also, I've just gone back over my notes and I did get a good hop flavour from an overnight stand at 80C when I used 37g of Perle (5.5%) and 37g Cascade (5.7%). So I think in previous beers I just wasn't putting enough hops in.

Back