Overnight Mash Licorice Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Wanted to run this past people. Mostly because I couldn't get old English Brown Malt, which was what the recipe called for, so I've ended up with ...

4kg pale malt
1kg crystal malt
300g black malt
100g chocolate malt
50g munich malt
250g racuhmalt
500g special B

The original called for 500g brown malt, and didn't have the chocolate. Added to this in the boil tomorrow will be 2g of "pure licorice juice" which is a really strong stick, 300g malt extract, and 250g liquid caramel!

Will my changes work out?

The recipe is from the River Cottage Booze Book, which is pretty good BTW :)

The also called for 500g of invert sugar, but I looked that up and didn't like the sound of it. Might chuck some honey in instead.

I've ended up doing an epic long over night mash, from about 11pm to midday the next day, lie in.

The colour looks great, The mash had dropped down to about 50 degrees, so I've heated my sparge water to about 80, and left it in with the tap off for a few minutes to try and get the temperature back up. Does that make sense?

556b59.jpg

The grain bed, black as the ace of spades.

gGZq8.jpg

This finished off heading for being 10%, watered it down to about 6.5% at 5 gallons!? How he things it'll be 4.3% with all that sugar in there I don't know.

It's sat in the snow to cool off now anyway, which is handy :)

Latest posts

Back