Overpitching Yeast

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Problems are said to include over-attenuation and lack of esters, which can be produced in greater quantity with a slight under-pitch.

Alan_Reginato

Reaction score
This article suggests that occurs an increase in diacetyl for high pitch rate. [PDF] Impact of pitching rate on yeast fermentation performance and beer flavour | Semantic Scholar
The threshold should be around 100 ppb, and with 40x10^6 cells/mL in a lager, hit 307 ppb.
Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-11-37-778_com.android.chrome.jpg

I usually pitch 5x10^6 cells/mL, with dry yeast. That's the minimum suggested by Brewers Friend calculator. For 0.35M cells / mL / °P

Maybe with 1 L slurry for 20 L wort, could get 50x10^6 cells/mL.

Thinking about, I just realized that my last batch, that I used the yeast cake from the previously one, hit that number. I didn't notice anything that seems to be an off flavour. But it's something to care about next time.

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for views please on why you should not over pitch yeast
What are you trying to achieve by over-pitching?

If you’re looking to shorten fermentation time for example you might want to consider the yeast you use, the temperature you ferment at, or prepare a starter to reduce lag time and increase cell count.

Obadiah Boondoggle

Boondoggling Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve by over-pitching?

If you’re looking to shorten fermentation time for example you might want to consider the yeast you use, the temperature you ferment at, or prepare a starter to reduce lag time and increase cell count.
My question wasn't to try and achieve anything in particular

It's just I have read "don't under or over pitch"

I understand the under pitching consequences but not so sure on over pitching athumb..

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question wasn't to try and achieve anything in particular

It's just I have read "don't under or over pitch"

I understand the under pitching consequences but not so sure on over pitching athumb..
Understood athumb.. I also sometimes just want to know stuff.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a Munich Helles with CML Hell yeast. Last time I made it I pitched two packets and fermented at 12C as per the instructions on the packet. It turned out very good. I intend to do the same today.

Obadiah Boondoggle

Boondoggling Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article suggests that occurs an increase in diacetyl for high pitch rate. [PDF] Impact of pitching rate on yeast fermentation performance and beer flavour | Semantic Scholar
The threshold should be around 100 ppb, and with 40x10^6 cells/mL in a lager, hit 307 ppb. View attachment 42566

I usually pitch 5x10^6 cells/mL, with dry yeast. That's the minimum suggested by Brewers Friend calculator. For 0.35M cells / mL / °P

Maybe with 1 L slurry for 20 L wort, could get 50x10^6 cells/mL.

Thinking about, I just realized that my last batch, that I used the yeast cake from the previously one, hit that number. I didn't notice anything that seems to be an off flavour. But it's something to care about next time.
Thanks, Alan

Really useful article

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Unless you're brewing something that requires under pitching yeast to deliberately stress it homebrewers are hardly likely to have a problem. Commercial breweries use vast amounts of yeast and make good beers.
If you ask here, may need a new thread, about pitching on the Yeast cake you will find few problems or off tastes reported.

Aamcle