Overrated beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this will be an unpopular choice but Titanic Plumb Porter, I made the mistake of buying a few bottles of this when I was collecting bottles and it took me weeks to get rid of it, sickly sweet taste to me. I made grain flapjacks with one and beer bread with another (which actually was a good use for it) then I had to force myself to drink the rest,

It’s good everyone has a different taste, and it changes ! But as some have mentioned desert stouts, stronger ipa’s and lately the Belgian beers that taste aniseed 🤮
I just find them terrible and overrated for me

Last edited:
On topic as overrated is Bud light. This may seem obvious to people with a discerning palate, but when I lived in Canada it was all over the place like a rash and people thought it was marvellous. But it really is the most bland beer I’ve ever tasted and richly deserves the analogy with gnats p!ss. It’s also served so cold that it makes your teeth fall out and if it did taste of anything the temperature is so cold it would kill it.

So called craft beers. Sure, some are pretty good but often I'm wishing I'd stayed home and had my homebrew instead.
BTW of the 5 or 6 bottles of craft beer I've had this week 2 of them have been gushers. No excuse really...

Two things I can't see the point of are (as Galena commented), beers with a stupid name than come in coke size cans with cartoons on. (back in the day, the government tried to get rid of such things, generally termed as Alco pops because of the appeal to children)

High alcohol beers.
It's true that I know next to nothing about brewing beer, but I have at least 45 years experience of drinking the stuff.
I can see no point in a so called 'sipping beer'. it just cuts down how many I can drink.

Oh, I forgot Becks!! Much as I enjoy a good range of German Beers, Becks is awful, Brewed and Exported to Great Britain by a Mad German hell bent on revenge for 2 Wars:laugh8::laugh8:

Sours, very overrated in my opinion, case in point Rodenbach Grand Cru one of the world's most highly rated beers, the one I had was like drinking a glass of Sarsons ashock1
Literally just posted about the rodenbach in another thread. Its barely even beer.

I fully understand everyone is different with taste and i do like some of the off the chart beers but, i always come back to what i would discribe as proper beer, there is something magical about English ale that you can't beat and don't forget it is copied all over the world now, yep you could say i love English ale with a passion acheers.

Anything from Belgium, period…….
giphy.gif

So called craft beers. Sure, some are pretty good but often I'm wishing I'd stayed home and had my homebrew instead.
BTW of the 5 or 6 bottles of craft beer I've had this week 2 of them have been gushers. No excuse really...
Never had a commercial gusher. What were they?

For me anything real ale. I don't mind a nice cask beer but most taste the same and badly kept.

Part of the problem seems to be too many new breweries jumping on the bandwagon so to speak, though I don‘t get too many truly awful ones their seems to be an overabundance of very similar beers which seem to follow the same tired formula, typically 5-5.5% heavily hopped, with a ridiculous name, typically they will taste like Brewdog Punk IPA, but instead of costing £1.25 a can in Tesco they will retail at £2.50-£4.00 a can.

I had a couple of the blue Brewdog Punk IPAs last weekend having not had one for months, so disappointing.
ABV seems lower and tasted a faded version of what it once was.
I've experienced this with other beers, the recipe is quietly tweaked ( presumably under orders by the bean counters ) and they think no one will notice.

Isomerised hop extract can have a large part to play in this.

Never had a commercial gusher. What were they?

Had a local brewery by me, I'd say 30% of the bottles from there were gushers. Spotted one of their bottles in a local restaurant so asked for one, when the barman opened it it went all over him. That was a few years ago, they've disappeared now, wonder if it was due to quality control?

Worthington White Shield. Treated as the holy grail in some quarters, and whilst pleasant enough, I never thought that it was worth getting excited about.

Had a local brewery by me, I'd say 30% of the bottles from there were gushers. Spotted one of their bottles in a local restaurant so asked for one, when the barman opened it it went all over him. That was a few years ago, they've disappeared now, wonder if it was due to quality control?
This is fantastic shithousery from yourself tbf. Love to see it.

30% chance of this bottle going everywhere.... That settles it. One of those for me my good man 😂

On topic as overrated is Bud light. This may seem obvious to people with a discerning palate, but when I lived in Canada it was all over the place like a rash and people thought it was marvellous. But it really is the most bland beer I’ve ever tasted and richly deserves the analogy with gnats p!ss. It’s also served so cold that it makes your teeth fall out and if it did taste of anything the temperature is so cold it would kill it.

Would struggle to call it a beer to be honest - its in the same category as the **** larger that the industry tried to force down our throats.

Dont like Guinness either - totally overrated, the poor Irish had to put up with it for years, I understand things have improved now somewhat.

Do like a Plum Porter now and again though, guess we are all different

Latest posts

Back