Overrated beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beers that have huge ABVs are overrated. They are massively over-represented on the lists of "highest rated" beers and are always hyped. Don't get me wrong, many are very good, but people seem to hype them just because they are strong/wacky.

Hazy IPA's just don't do it for me and find them quite bitter.

That's the opposite of what they are meant to be. I actually have the opposite trouble with some examples of the style. That they aren't bitter enough.

Sours look if you like them fair enough however the modern sour doesn’t really seem to taste like beer, they seem to be dominated by fruit flavours.

Beers that have huge ABVs are overrated. They are massively over-represented on the lists of "highest rated" beers and are always hyped. Don't get me wrong, many are very good, but people seem to hype them just because they are strong/wacky.
I do actually like Imperial stouts and Barley Wine etc. but out of curiosity I was looking at Untapped top rated beers it seemed every single one of them was an Imperial Stout or double IPA. I do sometimes wonder if part of the reason they rate so high is that after a couple of them I’m not exactly thinking straight.

OK i don't like Guinness its highly overrated ;)
I actually genuinely do believe Guinness is over rated, it’s a middle of the road stout often served far too cold which sells itself as the quintessential Irish Stout, (which primarily seems to be so it can sell into the American market).

Sours look if you like them fair enough however the modern sour doesn’t really seem to taste like beer, they seem to be dominated by fruit flavours.

What I especially find overrated about sours, is that they are said to be derived of spontaneous fermented beers, like lambic and gueuze. These beers are not sour, they are tart.

A misinterpretation by US homebrewers that is taken over by misinformed people.

I get your complaint about the sour. I had one from "Het Uiltje", a brewery I rather like (they have nice IPA's and stouts), which was so called sour lime saison. But for me it reminded me actually more of lemonade then beer, even though it was not sweet. But yes, the fruit taste dominated.

I agree with this. I tend to top out at about 7.5%.

If I want to drink something that’s 13% I’ll have a glass of wine.

Most beers I've had at beer festivals. Absolute drain pour, if I'd have brewed them.

I think that really hoppy beers are overrated in general insofar as the end result does not merit the expense associated with using hundreds of grams of dry hops in a 23l batch. In fact any beer that's overly influenced by fad or fashion tends to be overrated. Take Kviek for example. Not knocking a whole group of yeast strains that obviously have their place, and have many and varied uses, but over the last few years people seem to have been suckered into thinking that anything brewed with 'kviek' is automatically going to be better.

At the min it’s “juicy” ipa or pales. Just don’t see the thinking behind a beer that’s so soft it feels like fruit juice. I used to love a neipa but now think that they lack any character as they all taste the same. They tend to smell different but taste the same and cost a fortune.

Back