Own recipe bitter revisited.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
After the frustration of my first (own recipe) all grain best bitter, the second attempt is coming along quite nicely. The second brew was started on the 15/07 and left to cool down over night, so the yeast was pitched on 16th at a temp of 23c. The vol I was aiming for was 19ltr, however after a hot sparge (1 kettle of water) and a 30 min boil with the lid off I’m left with 17 litres, which I’m fine with for now. I was aiming for and OG of 1.051, but actual OG is 1.053, after 4 days fermentation the reading is 1.009, giving an ABV of 5.8% Wowzers!!
The thing I did differently were:
• Turning off the power to the mash bin and holding the temp through good insulation, so no direct heat to the grain.
• Reducing the mash temp to between 63-65 c
• Fermenting in doors in a room were the temp was more constant than the garage as temp fluctuate over day and night.
My plan now is to dry hop with 30 g Fuggles for 4 days and get cleaning those bottle out.
Given the projected ABV I think this one should be called a strong bitter.

Good idea, I think next time I'll give it another 2 liters of sparg, but I'll leave this one as is. I think it was the tinkering that was my undoing in the first attempt.
I'm still waiting for my fuggles to be delivered, but I do have unopened packest of striayan/bobek and cascade, so I'm toying with the idea of dry hopping with either of these, but I have no experience of using these.

From what I've read, that sort of mash temperature gives a very fermentable wort, so your ABV is likely to be higher.

Which yeast did you use?
I'm at a similar stage - just bottled my first AG brew last night. FG ended up at 1.005 with ABV of 5.5%.

I'll be interested to read how your second effort turns out.

I used mangrove jack new world strong ale yeast. I've done two mid ales, a London porter, all BIAB using this yeast. These recipes are from Graham Wheeler's book. But this bitter is my own recipe.

Last edited:
Back