Own recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi good people I have decided to try this
Blonde
Belgian Blonde Ale
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.200
Total Hops (g): 88.20
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 3.6 (EBC): 7.1
Bitterness (IBU): 21.4 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner (76.92%)
1.000 kg Pale Malt (19.23%)
0.200 kg Flaked Oats (3.85%)
Hop Bill
----------------
35.7 g Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
21.0 g Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
31.5 g Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.5 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
15.0 g Orange Peel @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Coriander Seed @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP570 - Belgian Golden Ale
I will be brewing Saturday any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome

If brewing Saturday you'll need to get a starter going soon for that liquid yeast. If you don't want to get into starters just yet then there are dry Belgian yeasts eg. Mangrove Jack's M41.

Most Belgian yeasts have the Diastaticus gene so make sure you let them ferment thoroughly before bottling and really give that fermenter a good clean afterwards.

Last edited:
If brewing Saturday you'll need to get a starter going soon for that liquid yeast. If you don't want to get into starters just yet then there are dry Belgian yeasts eg. Mangrove Jack's M41.

Most Belgian yeasts have the Diastaticus gene so make sure you let them ferment thoroughly before bottling and really give that fermenter a good clean afterwards.
Hi Foxbat is the yeast I chose a liquid one doh, I will use mj m41 athumb..

It's a beast of a yeast per the site. Is it just common practice to make one because that's a fairly mild recipe? Thanks.
21 litres at 1.054 needs 210bn cells for a healthy pitch according to the calculators. WL packs are 100bn at packaging and on top of that they take a while to get to our HB shops from the states.

Foxbat is right about the MJ. MJ M-41 is great. I was writing on another thread that I used T-58 and M-41 in the same batch. I hit 11% for the Tripel and no off-flavor. I always pitch two dry since I've been doing nothing less than 10% over the past two years. Some recommend (as does the site) to make a cream first. Sounds like a good idea though I just let the yeast sit on the wort for ten minutes and then aearate (which is also a debatable action).

Probably needs a dose of plain old beet sugar to bump the abv and dry out the finish, if being ultra critical to style guidelines. Otherwise, sounds like a nice beer, brewed to the brewers taste.

Hi Sadfield what is beet sugar, is it just plain old t&l if so how much
Yep, table sugar, or you could use brewing sugar. How much? A little or a lot, Duvel for example use around 15% of the grain bill, which is around the upper limit. 5-10% is a safe range, more sugar the stronger the beer, but still remaining a light drink.

Hi Rod

21 litres at 1.054 needs 210bn cells for a healthy pitch according to the calculators.
... which you'd acquire by making a 1.3-ish ltr (intermittently shaken) starter from one of those white labs WLP570 - Belgian Golden Ale packs, again according to the calculators ... have your "experiments" around capturing and culturing yeast slurry and making starters not given you the confidence to have a go with wet yeasts, yet?

Cheers, PhilB

Hi Rod

... which you'd acquire by making a 1.3-ish ltr (intermittently shaken) starter from one of those white labs WLP570 - Belgian Golden Ale packs, again according to the calculators ... have your "experiments" around capturing and culturing yeast slurry and making starters not given you the confidence to have a go with wet yeasts, yet?

Cheers, PhilB
Hi Phil no not yet, just been for ingredients 4k Belgium pilsner 1k wheat going with mj-m21 yeast will post final recipe later acheers.

Ok final recipe to brewed on the morn, ignore yeast in recipe I am using MJ-M21
Blonde
Belgian Blonde Ale
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.668
Total Hops (g): 69.40
Original Gravity (OG): 1.062 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.60 %
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 22.0 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
3.968 kg Pilsner (70.01%)
0.850 kg Dextrose (15%)
0.850 kg Wheat Malt (15%)
Hop Bill
----------------
29.4 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
15.0 g Orange Peel @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Coriander Seed @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safeale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
all thoughts suggestions welcome

Hi Rod

... no not yet, just been for ingredients 4k Belgium pilsner 1k wheat going with mj-m21 yeast ...
.... fair enough, stick with whatever you feel comfortable with athumb.. ... but why the switch to the Wit/Blanche yeast (M21)? Did they not have any M41/31 in?

Anyways, my one experience with that MJ M21 yeast left me with some very lively bottles of beer (no bottle bombs as such, but some bottles did need pouring into large water jugs before being left to degas and then decanted into glasses :roll: ) ... it gives all the appearances of being one of those "live fast, die young" ... it went off like a rocket and dropped the gravity from 1.048 to 1.015 in about 48hrs, and then stayed there till I decided to bottle it after two weeks ... but then it obviously took it a bit lower after bottling and maybe I should have given it a bit longer :?:

Cheers, PhilB

Hi Rod

.... fair enough, stick with whatever you feel comfortable with athumb.. ... but why the switch to the Wit/Blanche yeast (M21)? Did they not have any M41/31 in?

Anyways, my one experience with that MJ M21 yeast left me with some very lively bottles of beer (no bottle bombs as such, but some bottles did need pouring into large water jugs before being left to degas and then decanted into glasses :roll: ) ... it gives all the appearances of being one of those "live fast, die young" ... it went off like a rocket and dropped the gravity from 1.048 to 1.015 in about 48hrs, and then stayed there till I decided to bottle it after two weeks ... but then it obviously took it a bit lower after bottling and maybe I should have given it a bit longer :?:

Cheers, PhilB
That's the only yeast they had for Belgium they were waiting for a delivery, would s-04 do a better job or as good acheers.

Back