Own recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rod

S04 will make it less Belgian, basically like a very pale English Pale Ale (Bitter) ... whereas I doubt you'll fail to notice the wit-like flavours that M21 will throw ... I suppose what I'm saying is, you could make either of two very nice beers with what you have, but I doubt anyone would drink either and think they were drinking a Belgian Blonde ... if that matters to you :?:

Cheers, PhilB

Complete edit after rereading:
I would leave the beer to ferment for three weeks, start low and let it rise. I might even pitch two dry M-21's.

Side note: The two M-41s have worked great (12% ABV for a Quad). I'm pretty sure they were finished after three weeks including hydro check. I'm going to watch to see if the carbonating goes how it's supposed to.
Have a good brew day.

Last edited:
Hi Rod

S04 will make it less Belgian, basically like a very pale English Pale Ale (Bitter) ... whereas I doubt you'll fail to notice the wit-like flavours that M21 will throw ... I suppose what I'm saying is, you could make either of two very nice beers with what you have, but I doubt anyone would drink either and think they were drinking a Belgian Blonde ... if that matters to you :?:

Cheers, PhilB
Hi Phil, I set to out to do a Belgium of sorts so will go with the M21 and see what I get, I am ready for the next stage of this hobby thanks for your input much appreciated, acheers.

Complete edit after rereading:
I would leave the beer to ferment for three weeks, start low and let it rise. I might even pitch two dry M-21's.

Side note: The two M-41s have worked great (12% ABV for a Quad). I'm pretty sure they were finished after three weeks including hydro check. I'm going to watch to see if the carbonating goes how it's supposed to.
Have a good brew day.
Hi David this is new ground for me, just going to go with it and see what happens i'm sure it will be drinkable acheers.

Hi Rod

Fair enough, if you just want to go for it, go for it wink... ... I will just point out that Sadfield's advice was about thinning the beer out to make it "more blonde", so you might think about reversing some of that, you really want a bit more body in a wit ... you could use whatever malts you have, and it would probably be good to get some unmalted grains in there if you can, if you don't happen to have flaked/torry wheat then attacking the breakfast cereals can help, some porridge oats, shredded wheat or Weetabix would work well ... of course, you are the head brewer, and if you stick with your recipe I'm sure you'll make something nice wink... ... have a great brewday athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Hi Rod

Fair enough, if you just want to go for it, go for it wink... ... I will just point out that Sadfield's advice was about thinning the beer out to make it "more blonde", so you might think about reversing some of that, you really want a bit more body in a wit ... you could use whatever malts you have, and it would probably be good to get some unmalted grains in there if you can, if you don't happen to have flaked/torry wheat then attacking the breakfast cereals can help, some porridge oats, shredded wheat or Weetabix would work well ... of course, you are the head brewer, and if you stick with your recipe I'm sure you'll make something nice wink... ... have a great brewday athumb..

Cheers, PhilB
Hi Rod

Cheers, PhilB
Now i'm confused phil, so a wit has more body than a blonde ok that I can rectifie I have oats and shredie's think I am going to have to rethink this one, do I drop the peel and coriander in a wit acheers.

Hi Rod

The peel and coriander can stay ... Sorry, I've been typing posts assuming you know what a Wit is like, have you never had a Hoegaarden or Blanche de Bruxelles? Those two are the ones whose taps can most often be found on bars :?:

Anyways, there's the style guide (link) to give you an idea of what that yeast "usually" makes ... of course unless it's for competition you don't have to make beer true to style, but you can think of styles as "tried and tested" beers, and going "off piste" can be more hit and miss, but also a lot more adventurous wink...

Cheers, PhilB

@Rodcx500z I'd go with the MJ M21 yeast in your recipe. In a predominantly barley based recipe it'll be fine, although it's not very flocculant so you may struggle with it dropping clear. You could however pitch a mixture of M21 and S04 and get the esters and phenols of the Belgian yeast and the flocculation of the English Ale yeast.

I'd slightly disagree with @PhilBrew in that you'll get a Wit style beer as your recipe doesn't contain a large proportion of unmalted wheat, that would in a Wit give the characteristic sour flavour.

Last edited:
Back