Oxford teacher faces action over 'misgendering' pupil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the arms have to be human or replicate an octopus with those suckers? Or could you get some modern appendages with forks,spoons and maybe...a bottle opener?

the worlds gone mad and is fast going to hell in a handcart,contary to liberal luvvie beliefs there is only TWO strands of gender,youre either female or male unless there is a mother nature f00k up in the womb in your development as a foetus to a human being

Anyways, all this LGBGT (or whatever) stuff is a recent phenomenon. I blame the contraceptive pill and all that oestrogen finding it's way into drinking water and diluting guys' testosterone. 'Course, I don't drink it unless it's been boiled. Go figure, as they say... It must be all part of The Plan to reduce population or summat.

Having met and taught several transgenderd, I think I have something to say. First: the operations. "It's only a girl/boy after the operation", read about it and find out why a lot of trans people are scared. Those suicide attempts aren't all attention seeking.

Second: a lot of trans are quite cool when you make an honest mistake. Just don't make a spectacle out of it by apologising profusely and drawing attention, or even self-correcting. Sometimes not the whole class is uptodate. Sometimes they just want to be accepted as what they are/appear.

Gay people aren't always leatherclad boys from the Blue Oyster Bar, or butch dikes with moustaches and Amazonian armpits.

Most trans are normal, just like other people.

the worlds gone mad and is fast going to hell in a handcart,contary to liberal luvvie beliefs there is only TWO strands of gender,youre either female or male unless there is a mother nature f00k up in the womb in your development as a foetus to a human being

No, that's sex. As in, "the sex of the baby is...". Gender is something different. Put simply, sex is physical, gender is mental.

I think it’s incredible that in this day and age there are still the arguements and the need for rights activists. If there wasn’t anybody having a problem with each other’s beliefs, orientation, gender etc etc it then it wouldn’t need any discussion in the first place.

If someone wants to identify with a gender all the power to them and they shouldn't live in fear and certainbly not recieve abuse for it ect..

However I certainly do not want to feel like I have to step on egg shells every time I talk to a person at the risk they are offended I refer to them by something I can visually see and was bought up by nature.

There was a chat show recently with a non binary gender fluid person on who to my brain would clearly identify this person as a woman.. in fact she barely looked or did a lot which I would describe as trans gender. She was getting prickly about people referring to her as woman.. Whilst I would try my best in her presence to try and respect her I would find it hard to go against my natural instincts and would probably easily mistakenly refer to her as female causing outrage..

I have no problem with people wanting to live how they want, although I do not like the precedence we set by allowing people to feel empowered that they can be offended by anything anyone says to the point everyone in society treds carefully on egg shells..

I think that’s part of the problem. The people that appear in the public eye through whichever form of media they choose quite often cause more problems for everyone they claim to be talking for. If they want to increase understanding etc the news chasers need to be given less air time.

+1 on that.
How about extending that argument to say that if I have demonstrably taken all reasonable steps to avoid offending someone, and yet in some way they are offended by something I have said or done about their person or things they identify with, I should be offended by their insensitivity and unreasonable self interest in not recognizing my efforts not to offend them? Result, a draw. And life moves on.

If someone wants to identify with a gender all the power to them and they shouldn't live in fear and certainbly not recieve abuse for it ect..

However I certainly do not want to feel like I have to step on egg shells every time I talk to a person at the risk they are offended I refer to them by something I can visually see and was bought up by nature.

There was a chat show recently with a non binary gender fluid person on who to my brain would clearly identify this person as a woman.. in fact she barely looked or did a lot which I would describe as trans gender. She was getting prickly about people referring to her as woman.. Whilst I would try my best in her presence to try and respect her I would find it hard to go against my natural instincts and would probably easily mistakenly refer to her as female causing outrage..

I have no problem with people wanting to live how they want, although I do not like the precedence we set by allowing people to feel empowered that they can be offended by anything anyone says to the point everyone in society treds carefully on egg shells..

Again though, that's rare. I have trans friends, I've met trans people and gender neutral people and I get their pronouns wrong all the time. They get it's difficult to wrap your head around at first. If they've told you and you keep doing it then sure, eventually they're going to get annoyed, but that's hardly unreasonable. You definitely don't need to walk on eggshells.

I feel like there's a lot of people here whose only experience if trans people are news stories like this one, and it's left the impression that you need to walk carefully around trans people. It's honestly not the case, in my experience.

It's like if you changed your name. Your friends will keep calling you Sam because they've always known you as Sam, but you know they're making an effort to call you Mike so you're being patient. But occasionally you might get irritated, because you've told them God knows how many times that it's Mike now and some people keep calling you Sam anyway.

Except in this world everyone wears a government-issued name tag and there's a really long, beauracratic process to get it changed so even though you've made the decision to be Mike now your name tag still says Sam. So strangers still address you as Sam, and you have to explain that actually it's Mike. And most people are ok about it, but some people are dicks, and they tell you that you were born Sam so you are Sam and you have no right to change it and by God they're going to keep calling you Sam whether you like it or not!

Erm... I think that's about as close an analogy as we can get.

Not the best analogy, I admit. I got a bit carried away :lol:

The point is, most trans people don't fly off the handle because you misgender them once or twice, providing you're actually making an effort.

Why on earth would someone born with male bits imagine that they're anything other than male? I was born with only two arms but really believe that I should have been born an octopus. Do the NHS have a 'species realignment department' which could arrange for me to have six more stitched on to complete the delusion?

I was thinking you could go for a robot octopus combo. Then you could have a name tag saying 'Octopus Prime'

I wouldn't be surprised if there was truth in Gunge s point about all the chemical getting into the food chain. It has been proven that fish populations can revert to all female in areas where this hormone rich water is discharged.
Think on octopus man.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back