OXIDATION TEST - Bottling Home Brew Beer!

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by BeerCat, Sep 21, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

?

Do you shake your bottles after bottling?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. Oct 25, 2019 #21

BREWERS DROOP

BREWERS DROOP

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.

One flaw in his experiment,he didnt squeeze the air out the second bottle???

2. Oct 25, 2019 #22

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

Maybe not a flaw? But some of the responses in this thread suggests it is giving the wrong idea.

The "experiment" does not translate to rigid (glass) bottles. Although there has been good suggestions for dealing with oxygen in glass bottles (leave them a few minutes, not too many minutes, loosely capped so "outgassing" purges the airspace of O2 before crimping the cap). This is a tip the ancients amongst us will remember (from when there was no such thing as squeezy PET bottles). I very much doubt shaking a bottle with a purged airspace causes an issue, but not shaking a bottle with an unpurged airspace will have the issue (O2 doesn't need shaking to dissolve in the beer, time will do it).

A bit of common-sense is in order. Or if you know you have no common-sense, believe in your chosen mentor (the one with common-sense).

BREWERS DROOP likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2019 #23

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

I've always shaken bottles and never noticed an issue.
    There again I always fill them to between half and a quarter inch from the top. So not a lot of O2 in there really.

4. Oct 25, 2019 #24

GhostShip

GhostShip

GhostShip

I've never shaken my bottles as I batch prime before bottling, but I have had a few instances of 'home brew twang'. Following a tip I saw on here from @terrym, for the first time I have squeezed the air out of the bottles on the brew I'm conditioning at the moment (St Peter's Cream Stout) when capping. I'm amazed at how quickly the PET bottles recovered their true shape and it will be interesting to see if removing as much oxygen as I can from each bottle makes a difference to the finished beer. I'll need to try it on a lighter kit (I'll probably do the AIPA again next) as I think the darker beers tend to be a bit more forgiving when it comes to the twang.

Really interesting video.

GerritT likes this.
  5. Oct 27, 2019 #25

dwhite60

dwhite60

dwhite60

When I bought my first kit in 1990 the shop owner told me to add sugar to the bottle, fill, cap, and after a week give each bottle a quick twist.

Never heard of shaking them.

I used to batch prime but racking into a bottling bucket seemed like another chance to get oxygen in the beer and the second bucket was one more thing to have to clean and sanitize. I use sugar cubes to prime now. Pre-measured and very easy.

All the Best,
    D. White

GerritT and An Ankoù like this.
  6. Oct 28, 2019 #26

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

I think the "shake" bit comes from the belief that undissolved sugar will create a layer of very high gravity liquid at the bottom of the bottles. Which the yeast sinks in to and is killed.

Home-brewing had its list of fantasies to lean on in the 60s or 70s like it does now. And us humans like our habits (even if they are complete boll...).

7. Oct 29, 2019 #27

F00b4r

F00b4r

F00b4r

Regular.

This layer is definitely possible. I have had first hand experience of it once when batch priming without stirring, luckily the first bottle I tried alerted me as it was like a super sweet shandy so I quickly chilled all the rest down. A small proportion of bottles appeared to have the vast majority of the priming sugar solution in.

8. Nov 8, 2019 #28

Arrakus

Arrakus

Arrakus

I lost 2 batches this year due to shaking, all of it oxidised. Straight down the drain. Heartbreaking. Never again.

GerritT likes this.
  9. Nov 9, 2019 #29

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    If it males you feel any better I chucked over a dozen crates away.

Arrakus likes this.
  10. Nov 9, 2019 #30

foxy

foxy

foxy

Landlord.

Possible that the reference to drinkable comes from the oxidation, when I cask a beer first beers are nice and fresh as it ages the beer takes on a different flavour due to the oxidation. I prefer this to the fresh beer, I don't do this with a 20 litre cask just the 10 litre casks.

Once the yeast goes into the anaerobic stage it doesn't need oxygen, just the sugar, thats why once the fermentation has started it would be bad practice to stir or add oxygen to the wort. When bottling I fill the bottle up to the top then cap, as oxygen is 21% of air then I am pretty safe in thinking the amount of oxygen is low.

11. Nov 9, 2019 #31

Argentum

Argentum

Argentum

Oxygen absorbing crown caps must be wetted post crimping to activate them, but a mild tilt does that. Shaking is insane. Added sugar will fully dissolve without any shaking.

Wetting O2 absorbing crown caps pre applying them (as in sanitizing or washing them) kills their ability to absorb O2.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    GerritT likes this.
  12. Nov 9, 2019 #32

chrisbjones202

chrisbjones202

chrisbjones202

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting test, I normally tip the bottles but coincidentally bottled a Belgian golden last night and didn't without thinking about it.

I might try it myself purging a bottle and shaking another next time to see, as others have said with glass you can't squeeze the air out and while some co2 is given off before capping I'm not convinced it sits below the oxygen like water under oil pushing the oxygen out unless it's frothing.

Again with batch priming (I normally batch prime my Weizen as I transfer to bottling bucket for ease) I'm not convinced it's evenly distributed and therefore more accurate than adding sugar to the bottles though unless you give it a good mix adding some oxygen in the process. Best do what your happy doing.

13. Nov 9, 2019 #33

foxy

foxy

foxy

Landlord.

Not quite true about sanitising the caps, they can be sanitised prior to putting the cap on the bottle. according to the manufacturer it takes days for them to activate.
    Around the 2 minute mark on this podcast
    https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/6/b/a6...73330713&hwt=1307b2e72eee34461fcbf264f19cc442
    I have used them and didn't notice any difference.

Argentum and F00b4r like this.
  14. Nov 10, 2019 #34

Argentum

Argentum

Argentum

That is great news, and certainly corrects my prior presumption.

GerritT likes this.
  15. Nov 10, 2019 #35

foxy

foxy

foxy

Landlord.

Doesn't mean to say they work Sierra Nevada tried them for a while, Ken Grossman says they are still searching for the Holy Grail of bottle capping.asad.

16. Nov 10, 2019 #36

GerritT

GerritT

GerritT

Landlord. Supporting Member

Sugar cubes. 2, 3 or 6 grams. Works like a charm.

dwhite60 likes this.