Oxidised bottle from keg :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled 4 beers from a keg recently - 3 were delivered locally by hand to mates who all enjoyed the beer.

The 4th one was posted to a forum member who reported it had gone brown and oxidised - the other beer I sent in the same box (different beer, bottled from a bucket) was fine, as have been the many other bottle conditioned beers I've sent previously.

After 2.5 years brewing I've recently moved from bottles to kegs. So what might I have done wrong bottling from the keg this time, and how can I do it better in the future?

One thought is it might have been shaken more in transit, or maybe it's was just a random unlucky/duff one.

I don't have any proper gear to bottle from kegs. In this case I purged the bottles first with CO2 before filling. To fill the bottles this time I used a party tap with a short piece of plastic tube attached and then a bottling wand.

I think the answer is to get the right gear. I use a carbonation cap with a length of tube on to fill pet bottles and a counter pressure bottle filler for glass bottles. Both were reasonably cheap from aliexpress and do the job perfectly well.

When you purged the bottle you may have cleared out all the oxygen but it’s possible you didn’t. This might be one source.

Filling the bottle with a bottling wand usually leaves a space at the top as you remove the wand - as you pull the wand out the level of the beer in the bottle drops and pulls air into the head-space. This is a likely source of oxygen if you didn’t do something to manage it.

Back