Oxidised commercial beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I got a flavourly box this week and tonight I’m having the Kviek pale from Hilden brewery.

I don’t know if I’m going mad or not, but I think it’s oxidised. It has an odd Sherry flavour going on and the “healthy dry hop” of Vic secret is almost undetectable. I’m pretty sure it has discolouration although it doesn’t look that much darker than some of the pictures on Untappd.

Tastes like bad home brew.

Opinions. I have another can of it that I’ll have when the kids are in bed and see if it’s ok
53E4459D-6A0D-4A83-AEC3-CC431D94FD60.jpeg

That's clearly oxidised. The colour is a dead give away. I'd get in touch with them and show them that picture. I hate the taste of oxidised beer. Totally destroys hop character and makes it taste horrible and sweet.

Thanks both. I’d thought it was the case (reminded me so much of the 2 oxidised beers I made, and the 2 oxidised beers of other peoples’ I’ve had) but found it hard to believe that a commercial brewery, never mind one that had been picked up by Flavourly, would be putting out oxidised beer.

Even the pro's get it wrong Mick sometimes it is definitely the right colour for a oxidised beer. I have never had a oxidised beer except for the odd bottle when I have not filled it correctly but that is the exact colour of one

Thanks both. I’d thought it was the case (reminded me so much of the 2 oxidised beers I made, and the 2 oxidised beers of other peoples’ I’ve had) but found it hard to believe that a commercial brewery, never mind one that had been picked up by Flavourly, would be putting out oxidised beer.

It's possibly been an issue with the canning line. Or they have some poor practices. I've had more oxidised commercial beers than I care to remember.

It nearly ended my brewing career when I couldn't work out what was going wrong with all of my hoppy beers.

It might be worth emailing them showing them a link to the thread, they may be able to explain (bad batch or something) and you might get something free as compensation

The good news is that only one of the 2 cans of the Kviek pale has been affected.

I’ve emailed Flavourly to let them know. To be fair, I got 24 cans, 2 glasses and a bag of corn snack crisps things for £29 so even with one duff can it’s still good value.

Last edited:
That looks like final stage oxidation. There are so many oxidised beers out there, not helped by shitty cold chain in the UK.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if that's the way the beer is supposed to be. The hilden brewery is only a couple of miles from my house but I wouldn't drink their beers if you paid me. Awful beer that has a strange twang. Every single one of them.

Back