Oxy clean

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotley73

Reaction score
Hi all I have heard a lot of people use oxy cleaner to clean bottles etc I'm not sure what to buy. Could you please share products and brands that can be used if that makes sense. Cheers[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I know others use a cheaper supermarket version, but this is the one I've got. I don't use it much, only when I'm cleaning something for the first time or if it is particularly stained or has a persistent odour, so this will last a very long time.

You can just buy the tubs of Oxiclean they sell in Poundland or similar in Lidl/Aldi/any other supermarket in the washing powder aisle. By all accounts it's ok to use provided you give everything a good rinse after.

Or you can buy the pure stuff (Sodium Percarbonate) from eBay and the likes. This is preferred by some as it doesn't contain all the stuff that you don't really want / need that the laundry versions of Oxi contain.

Cheers all I was concerned about using laundry stuff because of additives etc that could taint the kit

The thing I find more important in not having home brew twang is to make sure everything is rinsed in water with no chlorine in. I have no problems using things like VWP as long as I dont rinse them in untreated tap water. Tap water treated with campden tablets works fine for me for rinsing with no twang, but if I rinse with untreated tap water it doesnt matter what water I use, bottled or untreated tap still have about the same level of twang.

I will give that a go then cheers guys

I have tried supermarket oxiclean and sodium procarbonate and despite SP being a lot more expensive I find it much better. If my element is full of crud I found a soak in SP had better results than oxi

I have tried supermarket oxiclean and sodium procarbonate and despite SP being a lot more expensive I find it much better. If my element is full of crud I found a soak in SP had better results than oxi

So if I put SP solution in my boiler, enough to cover the elements, they'd end up shiny and sparkling? That would be awesome and save me the chore of removal and refitting/manual scrubbing etc.

So if I put SP solution in my boiler, enough to cover the elements, they'd end up shiny and sparkling? That would be awesome and save me the chore of removal and refitting/manual scrubbing etc.

Give or take a little wipe.

I use a old tea urn as an hlt. A couple of brews ago I turned it on before adding water and it scorched. A SP solution and it's come out like new.

Great stuff (any brand) for cleaning newly acquired bottles with dried on crud as a tub can be filled outside and everything just left to soak for a couple of weeks if need be. Unlike bleach, it won't break down and grow algae.
It's a pain to rinse though and I generally prefer a mix of bleach and washing detergent for day to day use as it rinses easily.

The active ingredient in oxy clean is sodium percarbonate. Along with other stuff it's only about 30% SP in most oxy clean's so I bought 70% sodium percarbonate from ebay.
Also if you've got hard water and you soak glass for a long time it causes the minerals to percipitate out of the water and stick to the glass in a powedery residue which is a real b*tch to get rid of - I found this out th hard way

Give or take a little wipe.

I use a old tea urn as an hlt. A couple of brews ago I turned it on before adding water and it scorched. A SP solution and it's come out like new.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Whilst we're on about elements, do y'all clean them before every brew or just think sod it and proceed to use them with the deposits still on? I used to go thru a fair few until I started cleaning them thoroughly before every use... and I haven't had one fail for more years than I care to remember. A right pain though, hoping that the oxy works!

Latest posts

Back