'Packaging' timing query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As we don't have temperature control, I'd aimed to get all of my brewing done by the end of April (apart from a Saison). Trouble is, brew days kept getting rained off over winter so this isn't going to happen. Both fermenters are in use and there's a backlog of three brews in no-chill cubes.

The schedule is to ferment in the house for two weeks (18-20 C), then move it to the garage (fluctuates but has been 7-10 C) and then 'package' after a further two weeks.

So, the question is, can I save any time here? Cut the cooling to a week maybe? Also, I have two Corny kegs temporarily free. Would it be a bad idea if I transferred a brew straight from primary after its first two weeks to a Corny, left it in there for the two weeks cooling and then force carbed it? I'm concerned about the amount of sediment if I did that.

Any advice on cutting any corners appreciated!

As we don't have temperature control, I'd aimed to get all of my brewing done by the end of April (apart from a Saison). Trouble is, brew days kept getting rained off over winter so this isn't going to happen. Both fermenters are in use and there's a backlog of three brews in no-chill cubes.

The schedule is to ferment in the house for two weeks (18-20 C), then move it to the garage (fluctuates but has been 7-10 C) and then 'package' after a further two weeks.

So, the question is, can I save any time here? Cut the cooling to a week maybe? Also, I have two Corny kegs temporarily free. Would it be a bad idea if I transferred a brew straight from primary after its first two weeks to a Corny, left it in there for the two weeks cooling and then force carbed it? I'm concerned about the amount of sediment if I did that.

You can go from 14 day primary to keg and carb. I wouldn’t worry too much about the sediment. It will be fairly minimal in my experience and will probably sit clear of your beer line anyway.

Would it be a bad idea if I transferred a brew straight from primary after its first two weeks to a Corny

Not a bad idea at all!

Are you keeping the beers cooler after primary for 2 weeks as an extended cold crash? I often don’t cold crash at all, as I also don’t have cooling temp control, but when I do it’s only for 24-48 hours. There’s no problem packaging and even carbing your beer after the two weeks in primary (provided your FG has been reached).

Remember the 2+2+2 ‘rule’ - 2 weeks in primary + 2 weeks to carb + 2 weeks to condition. I bottle condition my beers, don’t keg and force carb, so would think you could save even more time with your set-up by not having to do the 2 weeks carbonation step.

You can use kviek at 25c+ without any off flavours and it'll be done in less than a week (to put it simply). Plenty of videos about...some are doing grain to glass in 10 days.

I don't even wait 2 weeks to ferment. Most don't need it.

If you are kegging I would ferment as you are, cold crash for 24 hours and then get it in the keg and carb.

If you are bottling I would do as above but once primed in the bottle I would bring inside for 2 weeks to carb, then out them outside to condition.

Thanks for the replies, all. They've reassured me that I should crack on and get it done acheers.

or brew anything with kviek yeast.
We had a couple of goes at that last summer but there was a taste to the beer we didn't like much. It was the Stranda one...

You can go from 14 day primary to keg and carb.
I'll give that a go with one of the milds, I think. athumb.. I've run out...

Are you keeping the beers cooler after primary for 2 weeks as an extended cold crash?
Yes, just to clear it, really.

If you are kegging I would ferment as you are, cold crash for 24 hours and then get it in the keg and carb.
It's a mix, I'm new to kegging, only on my second batch. As for cold crash, I have no way of making sure that happens. I've been able to take advantage of the low temperatures in the garage.

Well, over a month after your sage advice both fermenters still have their original contents! The first, a bitter, reached its target gravity of 1013 (two days apart and all that) and so was put into the cool(ish) area for a week to settle. It's now at 1006, fizzy and cloudy. Tastes good, if a bit dry. 1968 yeast, apparently it does this...

The other, a Witbier, cleared nicely on queue. Trouble is, hydrometer says no. 1020. Roused it and raised the temperature, going again now. Witbier yeast, apparently it does this...

Back