Pale ale gone sour - what happened?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been making a pale ale that has gone sour. OG was 1043. It stuck at 1020, so I did the usual restart drills, and it got down to 1016 and stopped. Target FG was 1008. It’s gone sour, not a vinegar sour, more like sour fruit, and not totally unpleasant, but a long way from what I want. The yeast was a 6g Munton’s standard ale yeast pack left over from a kit, still within its use by date. Batch was 15l. Throughout it has been very cloudy and won’t settle though there's loads of trub. It’s now 24 days since I first pitched the yeast. Anyone have any ideas what happened? I haven’t chucked it yet!

Sounds like you picked up a lactobacillus infection somewhere, not much that can be done about it now other than waiting to see what happens, never know it might turn out as a nice sour.

The other issue is you're going to have to thoroughly clean and sanitise everything that beer came in contact with and even then the bugs might still survive on your kit.

Back