Pale ale help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
I'm after a bit of advice for a pale ale based on some old hops I want to use up.

The ingredients I have are:
Pale malt
Caramunich
Wheat malt
Chinook
Nelson Sauvin
Saaz
Styrian Goldings
S-04 yeast

Any ideas for a decent pale ale out of that lot?
I'm aiming for something under 4%, and hoping to get drinking it as soon as possible (I'll be bottling). :D
I don't want the hops to dominate too much, so something with a good hop/malt would be good.
Suggestions?

How many Styrian Goldings do you have?
Pale malt + a little wheat malt and the Sty. Goldings for both bittering and aroma would be right up my street.

I personally feel that chinooks need a lighter hop to make up the flavour and aroma profile - I don't know how well they'd work with the other hops you have, as I've never tried them together.
Some people like all chinook brews.

Styrian Goldings as a bittering hop do go quite well Saaz for flavour and aroma - it's a common Belgian pairing. Maybe something along the lines of a low gravity Belgian type??

Have a good brewday whatever you go with.

I recently brewed a chinook / nelson sauvin pale - first tastes are lovely, i`d go for US-O5 though it really helps the hop profile in pale ales - if you haven`t any PM me your address and i`ll post you enough for a brew :thumb:

my brew viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9136

you could use pale malt and some wheat and cara for a lovely brew, good luck :thumb:

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've noticed this one:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7701&p=81877&hilit=Summer+Ale#p81877
I could swap out the bobek for goldings and drop the gravity and bitterness (need to check the hop weights before I brew):

Aiming for 22 L at 1.035ish, IBU 25
Pale malt 3300g
Wheat malt 150g
25g Styrian Goldings (90 mins)
20g Nelson Sauvin (15 Minutes)
10g Nelson Sauvin (70ºC Steep)

Rick, what a gent you are offering me that yeast, I'm getting this one on tonight though so it'll have to be the S-04 this time. Thanks for the offer though!

:D No problem Rabbie - always a pleasure to help out a fellow brewer :thumb: Good luck with the brew :thumb:

Aleman said:
I think that is a cracking recipe :whistle: . . . it's become my summer house bitter

Aleman what yeast did you use with your recipe? Just out of interest :D

I've used Nottingham and US05 . . . I prefer the US 05 . . .lets the hops shine

Back